It’s awful while you are trying to enjoy your content on Kodi and Kodi freezes during playback!
The numerous features and customization options can create problems sometimes and this open-source platform behaves.
So stop thinking ‘Why does my Kodi keep freezing?’ and check out this article to find the solutions.
What Is The Solution If Kodi Freezes During Playback?
Here I am going to describe some straightforward ways to fix Kodi when Kodi freezes during playback. Keep reading!
1) Restart Your Device
When your Kodi keeps crashing, first of all, restart your device.
Close all the running programs and then restart your PC, smartphone, or iPhone.
Then open Kodi again and check if this time you can smoothly play the video.
Often a fresh restart fixes most of the problems so just give this a try and then move on to the next solutions.
2) Update Kodi
Now visit Kodi’s official website, Google Play Store, App Store, and Download Kodi freshly.
Choose your Operating system and select the option as per your system requirements.
Make sure to install the latest Kodi version.
Kodi will get automatically upgraded and you will not need to remove the previously installed version.
Also read: Why Kodi Is Not Working? [Fixed]
3) Update Add-ons
Check that you are using the current Add-on build on Kodi. If you are using an outdated add-on then this can be the reason why Kodi is freezing during playback.
To update Kodi add-ons, follow the steps given below:
- Open Kodi Settings and click on Add-ons. Select the add-on you want to update.
- Click on the Versions Tab and choose the newest build.
- Revert to the previous page and enable Auto-Update as shown below.
- Now play a video on Kodi and check if you can stream it smoothly.
4) Enable Or Disable Hardware Acceleration
We often enable hardware acceleration to boost up Kodi’s performance. But often this may create a problem and Kodi freezes during playback.
For some users, the reverse happens and Kodi freezes if the hardware acceelerattion is disabled.
So enable hardware acceleration if it is disabled and vice-versa.
- Click on the gear icon to open Settings from Kodi’s home screen.
- Select Player Settings from the given options.
- Find another gear icon from the bottom of the page and besides that find the ‘Basic’ button.
- Keep clicking on the option till it turns to Expert.
- Click on the Video tab and scroll down to find Hardware acceleration.
- Disable Allow hardware acceleration – DXVA2 option if it is enabled and vice-versa. Now restart Kodi and see if this fixes the problem.
You should be able to play a video on Kodi without a problem now.
5) Re-Install Kodi
If nothing helps to fix the problem and you are still thinking why my Kodi keeps crashing, reinstall Kodi freshly.
You can uninstall Kodi from your Apps menu and then download the latest version from their official website.
- If you are using Kodi on Windows then go to the Start menu and enter Control Panel in the search box. Select the top option.
- Select Programs and Features option.
- Find Kodi from the list of the installed app and right-click on it. Select the Uninstall option as I have shown in the picture below.
- Download Kodi from its official website and this time you will have no problem with your playback.
So, here was what you should do if Kodi freezes during playback. Keep commenting and sending us your queries.