Getting stuck on the loading screen while launching or loading saves on Sons of the Forest?
You are not the only one facing it. The game is still in early access and likely will remain for a few years if it follows its predecessor.
Playing the game in early access, especially the first few days, can expose users to bugs and other errors like lagging, low fps, or stuttering.
Here, I have given a detailed guide on what to do when Sons of the Forest is stuck on the loading screen. These fixes have worked for others and should help you the same.
How To Fix Sons of The Forest Stuck On Loading Screen Issue
This detailed troubleshooting guide should fix the stuck-on-loading screen bug for Sons of the Forest. Simply perform all the solutions as given.
Solution 1: Delete Save Games And Config File
The first thing you can do is delete the Save game folder and config file. Doing this will reset the setting and game state if they have become corrupted. Here is how you can do it:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open Run. Type appdata and press Enter.
- Open the LocalLow folder > Endnight folder > SonsOfTheForest folder.
- Now, delete the Saves folder and delete the SonsGameSettings.cfg file.
Now start the game; you should no longer be stuck on the loading screen.
Solution 2: Run On DirectX 12 or 11
The next thing you can do is change the launch options from Steam. Changing the launch options to dx12 or dx11 can solve this issue on your PC.
Here is how you can do it:
- Open Steam and head to the Library.
- Right-click on Sons of the forest and click on Properties.
- Now type -dx12 in the Launch options section.
- Run the game and see if the issue persists.
If this doesn’t work, change the launch options to -dx11 and run the game.
Solution 3: Remove All USB Devices And Monitors
The next thing you can do is remove all USB devices you are not using while playing the game.
Sometimes extra USB devices like flash drives, controllers, or speakers can conflict with games and stop them from functioning correctly.
Remove any unnecessary USB devices you have connected to the PC and see if that makes the game load.
Also, if you have a multiple monitor setup, disable all the monitors except one and see if now you can run the game properly on it.
Solution 4: Verify the Integrity of Game Files
The next thing you can do is check the integrity of game files. This feature will make Steam check the installed game files and compare them with those available on its server.
Steam will find any corrupted or missing files causing this issue and reacquire them for you.
Here is how you can verify the integrity of game files on Steam:
- Open Steam and head to Library. Right-click on Sons of the forest and select the Properties option.
- Select the Local Files tab and click on Verify Integrity of game files.
- Wait for Steam to finish verifying, and once done, play the game.
Solution 5: Disable In-Game Overlay
The next thing you can try is disabling the in-game overlay. Doing this will prevent conflict between the game and other overlay apps like Steam.
Here is how you can disable an in-game overlay on Steam:
- Open Steam and click on the Library option.
- Right-click on Sons of the Forest and select the Properties option.
- Uncheck the Enable the Steam in-game overlay option.
Solution 6: Update Graphics Drivers
Another thing you can do is update the graphics drivers. Graphics drivers get frequent updates for newer games to optimize the game’s performance.
The game may have stopped responding instead of not loading, which outdated graphics drivers can cause.
So, keep your graphics drivers up to date and see if that solves the issue.
Solution 7: Reinstall The Game
Sometimes the game files are corrupted beyond fix, and reinstalling is the only way to solve it. If the earlier solutions didn’t work, try reinstalling the game. Here is how you can reinstall the game.
- Open Steam and head to the Library section.
- Right-click on Sons of the forest and select Manage.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Follow as shown to uninstall the game.
- Now, reinstall it from Steam.
So, that’s it. Now you know how to fix the Sons of the Forest not loading issue. Ask us in the comment section if you have queries regarding this topic, and we will try to help you.