While you may dominantly use the trackpad on your laptop as the default pointing device, the mouse is still preferred for more advanced tasks like gaming, etc. Even for basic tasks like scrolling through webpages, the mouse feels more natural as it has been around for a long time.
Here, I shall discuss how to change scroll speed if the mouse wheel scrolls too fast in Windows 10.
Read here if the middle mouse button is not working on your PC.
[SOLVED] Mouse Wheel Scrolls Too Fast In Windows 10
The default scroll lines in Windows 10 are set to 3, which means for each mouse scroll wheel movement Windows will scroll three lines at a time. However, you can easily adjust this to meet your requirements. You can change mouse scroll speed to make it faster or slower according to your choosing.
There are three methods to change scroll speed in Windows 10 and here I shall discuss each of them in detail.
Method 1: From The Settings App
If the mouse wheel scrolls too fast in Windows 10, you can fix mouse scroll wheel sensitivity from the settings app. Simply follow these steps:
- Open the Windows 10 Settings You can use the keyboard shortcut Win + I.
- Click on Devices from the categories.
- From the left pane menu, go to Mouse.
- In the right pane menu, you will find the slider that lets you change the mouse scroll speeds.
The number of lines that will be scrolled each time is shown in a pop-up box right above the slider. By default, this is set to 3, but you can decrease this if you see the mouse wheel scrolling too fast.
Method 2: From The Control Panel
Although Microsoft is favoring the Settings app over the traditional Control Panel, some users still use the older settings hub for many of the tweaks. You can also change the scroll wheel speed from the Control Panel, for which you will need to follow these steps:
- In the window that you opened for method 1, click on Additional mouse options.
Instead, you can also open this window from the Control Panel > Mouse [View by should be set to icons].
- In the Mouse Properties dialog that opens, go to the Wheel
- Under the Vertical Scrolling section, change the scroll speed by changing the value in the box under the following setting:
The following number of lines at a time
- Click on Apply followed by OK once you set a value that suits you.
By default, you will see that the value is set to 3. You can lower this value to decrease the scroll speed, or increase the value to make the scroll speed faster.
Method 3: From The Registry Editor
You can also make these changes from the Registry Editor. The Registry holds the settings and configuration files for Windows, with many tweaks involving the user making certain Registry Changes.
Also read: How to bring back Aero in Windows 10
To use the Registry Editor to fix mouse scroll sensitivity, follow these steps:
- Open a Run dialog using Win + R.
- Type regedit and press Enter to launch the Registry Editor. You may see a User Account Control prompt, click Yes.
- Navigate to the following location by pasting the path in the address bar of the Registry Editor:
- Here, locate and double click on the following String value:
- Under the Value data section, change the value in number of lines to be skipped with every wheel movement.
- Save the value.
- Next, adjust the MouseSensitivity value to fix any issues with the mouse sensitivity.
- Finally, restart your computer to implement the changes.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to fix if mouse wheel scrolls too fast in Windows 10, using one or a combination of the methods provided above. Do comment below if you found this useful, and to discuss further the same.