Twitch is a very popular online game streaming website owned by Amazon itself. Many users watch live video game streaming on Twitch. Since its release, the users of Twitch are continuously facing a major issue where the entire window remains black and the user becomes unable to use it properly on the Twitch app or even in Chrome browser. Whenever they try to open Twitch on the Chrome browser, the screen gets black.
A few workable solutions are discussed below in detail to help you to resolve the Twitch black screen problem. All the fixes are provided below. All you need to do is to follow them accordingly and apply one by one as they are listed below to know which one fixes your problem.
- 1 Why The Twitch Black Screen Appears?
- 2 What To Do With The Black Screen On Twitch?
- 2.1 Solution 1: Clear Browsing Data
- 2.3 Solution 3: Disable Hardware Acceleration
- 2.4 Solution 4: Block All Third-Party Extensions Or Plugins In Browser
- 2.5 Solution 5: Enable Incognito Mode In Chrome
- 2.6 Solution 6: Renew IP Address
- 2.7 Solution 7: Use Google DNS Server
- 2.8 Solution 8: Enable TLS Options
- 2.9 Solution 9: Update Browser
- 2.10 Solution 10: Reset The Chrome Settings To Default
- 2.11 Solution 11: Reinstall The Chrome Browser
- 2.12 Solution 12: VPN Server Problem
- 2.13 Solution 13: Use Alternative Multi-Twitch
- 3 Conclusion
Why The Twitch Black Screen Appears?
Before we start with the workable solutions, it is important to know the reasons why the Twitch black screen appears. Twitch is closely related to the network and video architecture of your computer. So, the probable causes are also hidden in these categories. Some of the reasons are listed below why you might get the Twitch stream black screen.
- Browser issue: If your browser has bad cache or the browsing data is corrupted, you might have the black screen issue.
- Error in DNS settings: It is possible that your DNS settings are set to a wrong configuration or might not be working properly that is causing you to experience the black screen.
- Server issue: The black screen issue might appear due to technical issues from the server. In that case, you may be incapable to resolve it.
- IP settings: If your IP setting has no proper configuration, you might have network issues.
- Hardware problem: Hardware accelerations may cause issues with Twitch although it improves the performance. Users reported that many clashes with websites and applications occur due to hardware acceleration.
It is necessary to use an active open internet connection instead of using a VPN, and ensure that there are no firewalls installed on your computer. You also need to log in as an administrator on your computer before applying the solutions.
What To Do With The Black Screen On Twitch?
It is time to start with the solutions. There are some troubleshooting steps listed below. You should start with the basic troubleshooting after a restart of your computer. All the possible solutions to the black screen are discussed here. You need to apply them one by one.
Solution 1: Clear Browsing Data
Sometimes clearing browser data removes all browser-related issues and fixes the Twitch black screen in Chrome easily. Below the steps are provided how you can clear the browsing data:
- Open the Chrome browser and click on the three-dot icon on the top right corner of the window.
- You will find the Settings option from the drop-down menu. Click on it.
- In the Settings window, go to the Advanced option below and click on it.
- It will open more settings and locate the Privacy and Security section.
- Find the Clear browsing data option from the list and click on it.
- Go to the Advanced tab and select the time range as All times.
- Check all the boxes except the Password and Autofill form data option.
- Finally, click on the Clear Data button to clear all data from Chrome.
Now relaunch the Twitch on chrome and check if the error still continues.
- Go to your Chrome browser and click on the three-dot icon on the top right corner of the window.
- Now select the Settings option from the menu.
- Scroll down to the Advanced option and click on it.
- Under the Privacy and Security section, click on the Site settings option.
- Click on the add button next to the Allow option.
- Now add https://Twitch.tv on the list.
- Go back and click on the Flash option.
- In the Flash settings, enable the option to ask first by clicking the toggle button.
After applying these settings, restart the browser and relaunch Twitch to check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 3: Disable Hardware Acceleration
Disabling hardware acceleration on Google Chrome settings fixes the Twitch black screen in chrome during video play. To make the hardware acceleration settings disabled, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Google Chrome settings by following the steps as stated above.
- In the Settings page, scroll down and click on the Advanced option.
- Again, scroll down and locate the Use hardware acceleration when available option in the System section.
- Disable it if already enabled by clicking on the toggle button right next to the option.
- Now relaunch the Google Chrome browser.
Now open Twitch to ensure that the black screen appears or not.
Solution 4: Block All Third-Party Extensions Or Plugins In Browser
If the Twitch black screen is not resolved yet, you should check all the installed plugins and extensions of your browser. You should disable all third-party extensions and plugins such as firewalls, antivirus or ad-block tools in your browser.
If the problem is fixed after doing this, you can enable the plugins one by one that will make you aware of the specific extension responsible for the black screen on Twitch while streaming. Block the plugins by following the provided steps:
- Open the Chrome browser and go to the three-dot icon on the top right corner.
- Click on the three-dot icon and navigate to the More tools option.
- Find the Extensions option in the drop-down menu. Click on it.
- You can see all the installed Plugins and extensions listed here.
- Click on the toggle button of each plugin to disable them one by one.
After disabling all the extensions and third-party plugins, relaunch the Chrome browser and open Twitch to find if the problem is resolved.
Solution 5: Enable Incognito Mode In Chrome
Some of the Users reported that enabling incognito mode helped them to resolve the black screen issue. You can enable the incognito mode by following the steps below:
- To enable the incognito mode, you need to click on the three-dot icon on the upper right corner of the browser. You can also press the CTRL + Shift + N together to enter the incognito mode.
- After clicking on the three-dot icon, you can see the option New Incognito Window. Click on the option.
- A new Incognito window will appear, and you can see the notification stated, ‘You’ve gone incognito’.
Open the Twitch and play the stream in this mode to check whether the Twitch black screen in chrome still appears.
Solution 6: Renew IP Address
When there is a misconfiguration in your IP settings, the black screen might appear. To avoid the error, you need to request a new IP from the host and replace the previous IP. To do so, follow these steps below:
- Press the Win + R key from the keyboard. The Run window will appear on the screen.
- Type cmd in the input area and click on the OK button.
- Type ipconfig /release and hit the Enter button on your Keyboard.
- Again, type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
- After the prompt returns, type exit and press the Enter button to exit the window.
Once you have done this, your IP is replaced with the new IP and well-configured. Now try to open the Twitch and check if the error still persists.
Solution 7: Use Google DNS Server
With the access of the Administrator, you can change the DNS to Google DNS. It might help you to get rid of the black screen of the Twitch. All you need to do is to follow the steps below and apply them accordingly.
- Click on the Start icon and type to search the Control Panel app.
- In the Control Panel app, click on the Network and Internet option.
- Select the Network and Sharing option in the window appeared.
- Now click on the connections name under View your active networks section.
- Another window will appear on the screen. Click on the Properties option.
- On the next window, locate the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” and “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” from the list of network properties.
- You have to change the properties of these two options one after one. So, select the first option, i.e. Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and click on the Properties option.
- Now activate the option “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- In the Preferred DNS server text box, put the value 2001:4860:4860:0000:0000:0000:0000:8888
In the Alternate DNS server text box, put the value 2001:4860:4860:0000:0000:0000:0000:8844
- Click on the OK button to save.
- Now go to the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option similarly and click on the Properties option.
- Activate the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option as stated above.
- In the Preferred DNS server box, type 18.104.22.168
In the Alternate DNS server box, type 22.214.171.124
- Click on the OK button to save the changes.
Now check if the black screen appears again while using Twitch on Chrome. It should be fixed already.
Solution 8: Enable TLS Options
Twitch will suffer streaming in the browser if the TLS of your browser is not enabled. You need to enable the TLS by following the below-provided steps to fix the Twitch stream black screen issue.
- To enable the TLS, press the Win + S key and type Internet Options in the search box.
- Click on the Internet Options from the search result.
- It will open the Internet properties window. Navigate to the right and select the Advanced tab.
- Scroll down until you find the TLS option.
- Check all the TLS options boxes present and click on the OK button to save.
Now check If this process worked for you to resolve the Twitch black screen issue.
Solution 9: Update Browser
Sometimes updating the browser resolves the black screen issue of Twitch. Although Google Chrome updates install automatically in the background, you can try to update the browser manually by going to the “About Google Chrome” page.
- To update the Chrome browser, click on the three-dot icon on the top right corner and select the Help option.
- Select the About Google Chrome option from the drop-down menu. Another window will open.
- If there is any pending update, it will notify you on the top of the Settings window.
- Click on the Update option if you get the notification to update. It will take a few minutes to install and will show you that ‘Google Chrome is up to date’ after the installation completes.
- Close and relaunch the Google Chrome browser.
Now try to open the Twitch stream to check if the Twitch black screen appears again.
Solution 10: Reset The Chrome Settings To Default
If the above solutions didn’t work for you, you should try resetting the Google Chrome to the default settings. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Open the Google Chrome browser and click on the three-dot icon to open the Settings menu.
- Scroll down to expand the Advanced tab.
- Click on the Restore settings to their original defaults option under the Reset and Clean up section.
- Confirm the Resetting process.
After the reset process completes, close and relaunch the browser and open Twitch to check if the Twitch black screen is resolved.
Solution 11: Reinstall The Chrome Browser
You should reinstall your Chrome browser if any of the above-said solutions didn’t work for you. Uninstall the browser from your computer and download the latest version of Google Chrome from the Chrome official website. If you need assistance, follow the steps provided below:
- Click on the Start icon and search Control Panel app.
- Go to Programs option in the Control Panel app.
- Now select Uninstall a program option.
- All the installed programs will appear in the form of a list.
- Now locate the Google Chrome browser and right-click on it.
- Click on the Uninstall option.
- Put a check on the option “Also delete your browsing data box”.
- After a successful uninstall of the Chrome browser from your computer, you need to download it by visiting the Chrome website or click on download Chrome for Windows.
- After downloading the setup file, start the installer by double–clicking on the .exe file.
- Click on the Accept and Install to start the installation process.
- When the installation is finished, run the Chrome browser.
A fresh installation might have resolved your problem with the Twitch stream black screen. Run the Twitch on your browser to check.
Solution 12: VPN Server Problem
Using a proxy server is a very good choice to fix the black video screen issue. But sometimes you might get a black screen while streaming due to server problems on the proxy server you are using. So, you should avoid using VPN or proxy servers while streaming on Twitch.
If you are in need of a VPN, here is a list of best free VPN (2020 edition) that will help you to find the one that best suits you.
Solution 13: Use Alternative Multi-Twitch
After applying all the solutions, if you notice that the problem still appears, you might try the MultiTwitch to watch streaming. All you need to do is to copy the broadcaster name from the Twitch and paste it after multiTwitch.tv.
An example is provided below to make it clear.
- In case the broadcast name on Twitch is tv/abxy.
- Here, “abxy” is the name of the broadcaster. Copy only the abxy part.
- Now open a new tab on your browser and type multiTwitch.tv/
- Paste the broadcaster name you copied previously after the / (slash) of the URL and press the enter key. Finally, it would look like multiTwitch.tv/abxy.
- Enjoy the broadcast now.
I hope the Twitch tv black screen is not a matter of your worry now. Continue enjoying your favorite broadcast on alternative MultiTwitch.
Now you know the reasons behind getting a Twitch black screen while streaming and the workable solutions to fix it. Which of the solutions mentioned above worked? let us know by commenting below. If you still have queries regarding the Twitch stream black screen, feel free to ask here.