Live Wallpaper Engine brings your Windows desktop to life with stunning animated wallpapers.
With a vast library, you will soon find the perfect one to match your style and interests. And if you’re feeling creative, you can even create your own!
So, read this complete guide and learn the ways of disabling Wallpaper Engine in detail.
Follow these basic steps and learn how to use the wallpapers to personalize your Windows.
Step 1: Purchase and Download The Wallpaper Engine App
To get the app through Steam, follow these steps:
- Open your Steam client or web browser and navigate to store.steampowered.com.
- Search for “Wallpaper Engine”: Use the search bar at the top to find the software quickly.
- Browse the screenshots, trailers, and user reviews to taste what the app offers.
- Before diving in and clicking on the “Add to Cart” button make sure you are aware of the cost of Wallpaper Engine.
- Select “Purchase for myself” or “Purchase as a gift”.
- You may need to log in to your Steam account with a verification code sent to your email.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed to checkout.
Wallpaper Engine costs $2.75 in the Steam store as of December 2023. It can only be purchased as a standalone game but may be included in future bundles for a discount.
You can also discover exclusive deals and unbeatable discounts for Wallpaper Engine through partner marketplaces.
Get a significant discount (sometimes 80% off) by purchasing your Steam key through them.
It would be best if you always stick to the official purchase only to get access to all the features.
Once downloaded, follow the installation instructions and prepare to be amazed!
Step 2: Download And Install
- Once you have purchased the Wallpaper Engine, follow these steps for easy access:
- Go to the Steam Library and find the app under the Software tab.
- Right-click on it and click on “Add it to Favorites”.
Step 3: Launch it.
- You can launch Wallpaper Engine from the Steam Library.
- The icon should also appear in the Windows System tray.
- Just right-click on the icon from the system tray and select the Change Wallpaper option.
Step 4: Selection and Customizing Displays
Steam allows you to personalize the displays in Wallpaper Engine. Follow these steps to do that:
For Multiple Displays:
- Open Wallpaper Engine and click the monitor icon( Display) in the Centre.
- Next, select “Wallpaper per display” to set different wallpapers for each.
- Choose “Stretch single wallpaper” to extend a single wallpaper across all displays.
- Choose “Clone single wallpaper” to replicate the same wallpaper on every display.
Splitting Ultra-Wide Monitors:
- Under “ChooseDisplay,” select “Split” to divide an ultra-wide monitor into virtual displays.
- This allows you to apply different wallpapers to each segment.
For Individual Display Settings:
- First, choose the “Split” option and select your desired wallpaper.
- Soon, you will notice that the display is divided into two parts.
- To choose a wallpaper for the first monitor, click the “Change Wallpaper” option.
- Select a desired wallpaper in the next window and click “OK”.
- After performing the above steps, you will soon notice the selected wallpaper for Screen 1.
Muting The Audio:
To mute the audio for Screen 1, click on the Volume button.
Checking Display Resolution:
Right-click your desktop, choose “Display Settings,” and find the resolution under “Scale and Layout.”
A 3840 x 1080 ultra-wide monitor could be split into two virtual 1920 x 1080 displays for independent wallpaper application.
Step 5: Explore and Select Animated Wallpapers
- Open the Wallpaper Engine Workshop within the app or on Steam to explore the vast library.
- Use stunning live wallpapers from the endless gallery crafted by talented artists worldwide.
- Discover a captivating blend of 3D animations, 2D art, videos, websites, and even wallpapers with interactive elements that respond to your mouse or system usage.
- You can utilize filters and categories to quickly narrow down your search based on genre, popularity, resolution, or specific keywords to set the preferable wallpapers.
Step 6: Subscribe and Apply For the selected Ones
- When you find a video wallpaper for your Windows 11, click the “Subscribe” button. This will download it instantly and add it to your collection within the app.
- It’ll instantly get downloaded and applied.
- You can change the wallpaper and manage your subscribed ones within the app.
Step 7: Customize and Animate Your Images
- You can use your images to create new wallpapers and personalize and use them.
- Wallpaper Engine supports editing the wallpapers per the available options and saving the changes.
- All you have to do is right-click the Wallpaper Engine icon in your system tray for options:
- Within the right-hand tab, locate the “Properties” section.
Here, you’ll find an array of settings to shape your wallpaper experience:
Volume: If your wallpaper includes sound, find the perfect balance that complements your environment.
Playback Rate: Set the pace to match your mood, whether it’s a tranquil serenity or a lively energy.
Alignment: Choose how your wallpaper interacts with your monitor, opting for options like Cover, Fill, Center, Stretch, or even Free for complete control.
Position: Fine-tune the placement of your wallpaper, adjusting it vertically, horizontally, and even zooming in or out for the perfect composition.
Color Options: Extend the aesthetic into your operating system by adjusting the accent colors for windows, the taskbar, and dialogue boxes.
Brightness: Illuminate the darkest areas to reveal hidden details or create a subtle glow.
Contrast: Enhance the visual depth by contrasting the darkest and brightest elements.
Saturation: Intensify or soften the colors to match your mood or create a specific atmosphere.
Hue: Experiment with shifting the color spectrum for a unique and captivating visual effect.
After customizing to your liking, you can:
- Click “OK” to save the changes for this wallpaper and exit the app.
- Press “Reset” to undo any adjustments and restore the wallpaper to its default settings.
Step 8: Craft Your Wallpapers To Set As a Background Image
If you do not like the existing wallpapers, the software gives you options to create & install high-quality wallpaper.
You can use the editor to create custom wallpapers from videos, images, web pages, or code.
To craft wallpapers, follow these steps:
- Open Wallpaper Engine and locate the “Wallpaper Editor”.
- Next, you can start with a blank canvas. Then, reshape and refine existing ones to align with your vision.
- You can choose from the pre-designed templates to effortlessly kickstart your creative wallpaper.
- Next, drag and drop your chosen background into the editor
- Give a project name and a color scheme.
- You can zoom into the details and use your mouse scroll to navigate intricate elements effortlessly.
- Use a vibrant array of animations, blurs, enhancements, and more, which can be found on the right side of the editor.
- Then, manage the layers and scene options on the left side, crafting a cohesive visual tapestry.
Step 9: Steam Workshop
Wallpaper Engine has a community workshop where users upload and share their custom-made wallpapers. Explore this section to find a unique collection created by others.
You can browse the categories filtered by genres like anime, sci-fi, gaming, music, minimalism, etc.
You can sort by popularity or rating and Explore curated lists for specific occasions or moods.
To share your wallpaper, follow these steps:
- Navigate to “Workshop” and select “Share this wallpaper on Workshop” to unveil your creation.
- Add a catchy title, genre, and description.
- Select an appropriate age rating and determine its visibility (public, friends only, or private).
- You can check with a preview image that invites others into your artistic realm.
- Next, fill out the submission form.
- You can then share your creations in the Workshop for others to enjoy.
The workshop is more than just a viewing gallery. You can actively engage with the community:
Subscribe: Add your favorites to your collection and enjoy them instantly.
Rate and Review: Provide feedback to the creators and help them improve.
Leave Comments: Share your thoughts and start conversations with other wallpaper enthusiasts.
Support Creators: Donate to creators whose work you appreciate.
Step 10: Compatibility With Your Android Device
While Wallpaper Engine itself isn’t directly compatible with mobile devices, there are two ways to enjoy animated wallpapers on your phone thanks to its companion app:
Third-party Android Apps:
Various free and paid apps connect to your Windows PC, run Wallpaper Engine, and allow you to transfer your existing live wallpaper collection to your Android phone.
While not a direct port of the PC program, the apps open up to enjoy some of your existing live wallpapers on your phone.
Their connection with the PC is a convenient feature, though you can also opt for independent sources if desired.
- Supports videos, GIFs, and interactive 2D/3D wallpapers.
- Connects wirelessly to your PC for easy transfer.
- Changes the look and feel.
- Sets up playlists for automatic rotation.
- Completely ad-free and privacy-focused.
- Don’t directly download wallpapers from the Steam Workshop.
- Doesn’t play sound associated with wallpapers.
- Certain phone manufacturers (Huawei, Xiaomi) might restrict some wallpapers on lock screens.
Local Videos and GIFs:
You can directly import local videos and GIFs onto your phone without connecting to your PC.
- Simple import process.
- Wide range of compatible video and GIF formats.
- No limitations on downloaded content (sound, interactivity).
- Requires manual acquisition of video/GIFs from other sources.
- Less customization options compared to wallpapers from Wallpaper Engine’s library.
Step 11: Additional Tips To Use Wallpaper Engine
Here are some additional tips and tricks while using the Wallpaper Engine on your Windows:
- Optimize the performance in settings to minimize resource usage.
- Pause wallpapers during Fullscreen applications or games for a better gaming experience.
- Use the free Android companion app to transfer to your mobile device.
- Explore online communities for recommendations and discussions. If interested, you have options to explore the tools and guides for creating custom wallpapers.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
1. What Are The System Requirements To Run A Wallpaper Engine?
The system requirements for running Wallpaper Engine include a Windows 7, 8, or 10 operating system and a GPU that supports DirectX 11. Additionally, it is recommended to have a fast CPU and a decent amount of RAM for smooth performance.
2. Is The Wallpaper Engine Free To Use?
The Wallpaper Engine is not free to use. Users need to purchase the software from the Steam platform to access its full range of features and wallpapers.
3. Can I Use The Wallpaper Engine To Pause Wallpapers Automatically In Fullscreen Mode?
Yes, Wallpaper Engine automatically pauses wallpapers when a fullscreen application runs to ensure an uninterrupted experience.
So, that was how to use live wallpapers for your Windows.
Keep exploring, and let your desktop become a unique canvas for endless inspiration.
Stay in touch with us for more related topics.