When you upgrade your system internals or make other hardware changes, you may face the issue where your PC does not connect to the Windows Activation Servers.
Activation is included to verify that your Windows copy is genuine. It is also used to confirm that you are using the copy on the devices that you selected in the Microsoft Software License terms, or that you are complying with the Policy terms.
You may face this issue if you upgraded your system hardware like your motherboard. Windows may not be activated even if you have paid for a genuine Microsoft Windows Activation Key and tried to activate it through their interactive services. You will most likely be shown the error code 0x803f7001.
The Anniversary Update (V1607) did not include the motherboard replacement improvement fix. So if you upgraded your motherboard, the servers may be unreachable for the systems that were digitally entitled Windows 7 or 8. The following message was being displayed:
Causes Of Activation Server Errors:
There are a lot of reasons why the servers may be down. Here I will list some of the reasons why the error may be displayed.
1. Unstable Internet connection
If you are on an unstable internet connection, your system may not be able to reach the servers. You may try switching to a more stable connection and try activating the product. If you are on a free Wi-Fi network, you may try switching to a wired connection or other trusted networks. This should resolve the unable to reach windows activation server’s error.
2. Activation Servers Down
In January 2019, the windows activation servers were down for a whole day. If Microsoft is working on the Server Hardware, the servers may be down for some time. You may try waiting for some time and try again in a couple of hours. This should resolve your problem if Microsoft has opened the servers again.
3. PC Is Behind A Proxy Or VPN Network
If you previously set up a proxy server or a VPN network, the proxy may be interfering with the connection and preventing you from accessing the Windows Activation Servers. You may try disabling the Proxy server or the VPN network and try activating again to see if the problem is resolved.
4. Windows Update Not Correctly Installed
This error was most prominent with the Anniversary Update which did not have the fix for reactivation in case of a motherboard change. You may try installing an update to the current version on your system if this error occurs. Starting from Creators Update, the fix was included in the Activation Wizard, so the fix for your error may be present in the update as well.
How To Solve Unable To Reach Windows Activation Errors?
Here below we have discussed the methods to fix the Windows activation issue, please have a check:
# Fix 1
You may try to activate the product using the Graphics Interface. The steps to do that are:
- Open Run and type slui 3.
2. In the window that opens, enter your product key and press enter.
# Fix 2
Alternatively, you can try entering a generic key for your Windows Version, and then re-activate based on the already associated license. I will show the steps to use a generic key to fix unable to reach windows activation servers’ error
- Open Run by pressing Win + R. type slui and press Enter to open Windows Activation Client.
2. Click on the Change Product Key button and enter the correct generic key for your Windows Edition:
Windows 10 Home Edition: YTMG3 – N6DKC – DKB77 – 7M9GH – 8HVX7
Windows 10 Home Edition Single Language: BT79Q – G7N6G – PGBYW – 4YWX6 – 6F4BT
Windows 10 Pro Edition: VK7JG – NPHTM – C97JM – 9MPGT – 3V66T
Windows 10 Home N Edition: 4CPRK – NM3K3 – X6XXQ – RXX86 – WXCHW
Windows 10 Pro N Edition: 2B87N – 8KFHP – DKV6R – Y2C8J – PKCKT
3. Click on Next and wait for the Activation Window to close.
4. Restart your PC.
5. Open the Activation Screen again to verify that the error message has disappeared. The error message must now be gone.
6. Wait for the Re-Activation Prompt. Usually, it takes about half a day for the same. On the prompt, enter your Product key and re-activate your Device.
If the error message is not resolved: Follow the steps if the error message is not resolved.
7. Open an Administrator Command Prompt. For this, right click on the search query and select Run as Administrator.
8. Type the following command to replace your generic key with the original Product key you purchased:
slmgr -ipk xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx – xxxxx (where you have to replace the X with the 25 digits alphanumeric activation code unique to your account).
9. Double Check the code for any error before pressing Enter. If the installation is successful you may see a Windows Host Script popup.
10. Exit CMD and restart your PC. Verify from the activation Window if the Activation was successful.
# Fix 3
If both the above fixes don’t work, you have to contact the Microsoft Support Team. You can do this via the Chat support from the get Help app or via calling the Microsoft Support Toll free numbers. The steps to do that are as follows:
- Open Run by pressing Win + R. Enter slui 4.
2. Select the region from the drop-down menu. You will be provided with the Toll-free and Toll numbers, and an Installation ID. Note this ID down.
3. Now you may call the Microsoft Support Team on the numbers, or open the Get Help app from start.
4. In the input field, write your issues and see the help the assistant provides.
5. Once the Answer Tech arrives, explain your issue, and provide the Installation ID when asked.
6. Wait for the License to be activated.
So there you have it. Now you know how to resolve the issue when the unable to reach windows activation server’s error appears. Did you find this useful? Comment below if you activated the windows after the error appeared.