With the release of the latest Edge version 111.xxx Microsoft has added a new “Discover” button that is the gateway to Microsoft’s version of ChatGPT.
Suppose the “Discover” button on your Microsoft page is acting as a distraction. In that case, this quick guide will show you how to remove it from Microsoft Edge, allowing you to enjoy a more focused online experience.
This write-up will guide you through removing the “Discover” Button from Microsoft Edge.
So, let’s get started!
What Is The Microsoft Edge Discover Button?
Microsoft has now added the new Bing AI Chat to Edge, which lies at the top right corner of the Edge browser window.
The Discover button in Edge is a feature that provides users with a curated feed of content from the web based on their specific interests.
In the right corner of Microsoft Edge, users will now encounter a Bing button directly accessing the AI-powered Bing search engine. Microsoft announced this exact feature, termed the “Discover” button, in February, and is powered by ChatGPT.
This new addition in Edge has made the browser much more appealing and is known to deliver information to users on a wide variety of topics.
Clicking on the button will give the users various answers depending on the question. While this takes a lot of space on the right side of your browser, some users have raised eyebrows for the same.
Bing’s “Discover” button has three tabs: Chat, Compose, and Insights.
The Chat tab lets you interact with the chatbot on Bing.com.
The Compose tab helps in creating different types of content formats.
Whereas the Insights tab understands the web page context that the user is viewing and mentions the related information.
Few users find this “Discover” button useless and distracting to their productivity. Unfortunately, since this takes up a lot of space, some users also search for ways to discard it.
How Can I Remove The Discover Button From Microsoft Edge?
The updated version of Microsoft Edge has certain new features and improvements, but a few users may like to turn it off.
If you’re one of them and don’t want to use it, you can easily turn it off by following the instructions meticulously. Here, you will discover the steps for removing the “Discover” button on the Edge toolbar.
Windows users can avail of these two methods for doing the same:
1) By Using The Browser Settings
This is a quick and easy way to remove the much-talked-about “Discover” button.
This is how you can do it:
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on the three-dot menu.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the “Settings” option.
- In Settings, click on the “Sidebar” option on the left side of the screen.
- Under “App-specific settings,” click the “Bing Chat” option.
- Now, click on the toggle to switch off the “Show Bing Chat” option.
2) Using The Registry Editor
The “Discover” button can also be removed by editing your registry.
Follow the outlined steps to do so:
- Open the “Run” dialog box by pressing Windows + R.
- Type “regedit” and click on “OK”.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to this path
- Right-click on the “Microsoft” folder.
- Now select “New,” then click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it as “HubSidebarEnabled” and double-click on it.
- Set the Value data as “0” and click “OK”.
- Finally, launch Microsoft Edge, type “edge: //policy” in the address bar, and press “Enter.”
- Click “Reload Policies” and restart your computer to confirm the changes.
How To Remove The Bing Button In Edge On macOS?
In Mac, users can use a command to turn off the Bing button.
Here is how to do it:
- To open the macOS Terminal, navigate to Go>Utilities>Terminal in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Now, enter open -n -a “Microsoft Edge” –args –disable-features=msEdgeSideV2 and then press “Enter” to execute the command.
- After execution of the command, you will notice the Bing Discover button will not appear in the Microsoft Edge for Mac sidebar.
On Linux, you can follow these steps:
- Open the terminal app and copy and paste the following command:
Microsoft-edge-stable -disable-features=msEdgeSidebarV2 and press Enter.
Probable Reasons For Removing The Discover Button
- Keeping the “Discover” button at bay will make the browser’s interface less cluttered, making it easier to browse.
- If the content in the “Discover” button doesn’t appeal to you, you can remove it and make your browsing experience a better one per your taste.
- Since the “Discover “button displays news and articles, removing it will not distract the users anymore.
- Also, removing unnecessary features like the “Discover” button helps you to browse faster on devices.
- Also, users can ease worries about privacy since it collects information about them.
- Customization is another factor, as doing it gives more space to other browser features or extensions that are likely to be more important or useful.
- Staying away from using the “Discover” button will make the browsing experience of the users more consistent.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What Is The Use Of The Discover Feature On The Edge Browser?
The Discover feature in the Edge browser helps the users explore the new Bing that is specifically built to ask any question to the Edge browser.
- Where Will I Get The Discover Button?
You can find the “Discover” button on the new tab page of Microsoft Edge. It is located in the top-right corner and represents a symbol that is almost similar to a compass.
- How Does The Discover Feature Determine The Content?
The Discover feature uses Microsoft’s algorithm to personalize the content it displays. It also takes into account the browsing history, interests, and preferences for providing relevant articles and news.
- Can I Save Articles Or Content From My Discover Feed For Later Use?
Yes, you are free to save the articles or content for future use by clicking on the bookmark icon.
That’s all to it. So, follow the steps and bid farewell to the “Discover” button.
ChatGPT-powered Bing’s announcement in February will likely make the search engine much more competitive against Google. It is supposed to help users with their search queries, offering quick and easy access to the ChatGPT-infused Bing search.
Feel free to give us any related information in the comment section below.