According to many Xbox users around the world, often an audio issue happens with the Xbox One controller. The mic stops working or the headset keeps buzzing, which makes you unable to hear any sound through the Xbox One headset. Even it makes you unable to record your voice.
It is quite frustrating to get the Xbox One controller headphone jack not working while gaming. But you should not worry. A few effective solutions are discussed below. You can easily fix such an issue with the Xbox One controller by following these methods.
What Makes The Xbox One Controller Headphone Jack Not Working?
There is no particular reason found behind the Xbox One mic issue. Several instances can result in the Xbox One headset no sound. To know what the problem is, before you fix, go through the possible reasons listed below:
- The first or primary reason is the faulty headphone socket of your Xbox One controller. You may encounter an audio issue with the Xbox controller when the headphone socket is not properly connected with the motherboard. It might be the audio input jack of the Xbox controller or the cord which is somehow damaged or not working.
It is also possible to have some internal hardware or software issues on both the Xbox One controller and the device you’re trying to connect.
- There is a chance of having the Xbox One audio problem if the Xbox One controller is outdated. It mostly happens when you are using a first-generation controller. That’s why you should always use an updated controller.
- This error occurs if the batteries are weak. When you play audio or trying to record, the batteries become unable to supply the power amount that the Xbox controller needs to run audio.
- Incompatible headsets play a vital role where you’ll get no sound using the Xbox One controller headphone. You should always check whether the headset is compatible or not with your Xbox One controller before buying.
- A connection error between the headphone jack and the port may end up showing you the Xbox One controller headphone jack not working. This reason is quite common where the users unintentionally failed to connect the 3.5 mm jack with the headset port properly. As a result, they could not hear any sound through the headset.
So, now you know why you have the Xbox One controller headphone jack not working. It is time for solutions. Keep reading this article to have some working methods to fix your Xbox One audio problem.
How To Fix The Xbox Headset Not Working?
To fix the audio issue, follow these steps below maintaining the order. These solutions are reported as working by many users. You may not need to apply all these fixes, but you should continue until you find the working one.
Solution 1: General Troubleshooting
You should start with some general troubleshooting processes before applying any other solutions. It includes all the necessary checking, applying which the issue might get resolved.
- You should disconnect the headset when such an issue arrives. Unplug the cable from the controller, look for any dirt or damage and reconnect it to the controller firmly.
- Ensure that the volume of your headset is not muted by pressing the volume keys and other control buttons placed on the headset.
- Try to increase the volume from the settings of your device.
- Make sure that the headset you are using is compatible with your controller.
- Try using another controller as well as a different headset to check if there is any hardware malfunction present in these devices.
- Clean all the connectors, cord, and headphone jack to remove every possible chance of getting an audio issue.
- Remove the batteries and check if they are low to provide sufficient power to the headset. Change the batteries if you find them unable to run the controller.
- Unplug the power cable, wait for around 15 seconds and reconnect the controller to the power source. It will reboot your console.
If the problem is not resolved by following these general fixes, continue to the next solution provided below.
Solution 2: Check The Xbox One Privacy Settings
When the microphone turns muted on your Xbox One due to your profile settings, the Xbox One headset no sound occurs. If the child account is activated, voice communication turns to a limit. You should sign in using the parent account to use the microphone.
Check the profile settings by following these steps accordingly:
- Press the Xbox One button placed on the controller and select the Settings icon.
- Choose the All Settings option.
- Select the Account option from the left panel.
- Click on the Privacy & online safety option.
- You can see the View details & customize button on the right side. Click on it.
- On the next window, select the Communicate with voice and text option.
- Now select with whom, you want to talk to, such as friends or everybody.
- Close the Settings window.
Now check if you can communicate with your contacts using the microphone.
If the Xbox headset is still unresponsive, you should try the next solution below.
Solution 3: Perform A Power Cycle On The Xbox One
Many users reported that applying a power cycle resolved the Xbox One controller headphone jack not working. When the issue is caused by an Xbox dashboard glitch, you can fix it by applying a power cycle method. It is an effective solution to such an issue.
This is how you can perform a power cycle on your Xbox One easily:
- You should press and hold the Xbox One power button for around 10 seconds until you can see the LED indicator goes off.
- Now wait for a few minutes and turn the Xbox One back on by pressing the Xbox button placed on the console.
- When the boot-up is completed successfully, you can see an animation with a green background on the monitor. If you can’t see any animation like this, repeat the process to perform a power cycle again.
- Once the startup completes, connect your headset and check whether the problem is resolved.
If this solution doesn’t work for you, try the next one.
Solution 4: Check The Chat Mixer
You should check the party chat settings when you notice Xbox one headset no sound. To check the party chat, you should follow these steps below:
- Go to the System Settings and select the Display and sound option.
- Select the Volume option from the next window.
- You can see the option to balance the party volume using the slider present. Try balancing the volume or set the slider to the middle of the volume bar.
Now check whether the Xbox One headset no sound is fixed.
Solution 5: Update The Xbox One Controller
When your Xbox console is outdated, you may find the Xbox sound error. In order to fix this issue, try to update the firmware of your Xbox console.
You can update the Xbox One console either using the USB or via PC using the Xbox Accessories app. The steps are discussed below.
To update the Xbox One console via USB, follow these steps below:
- On your Xbox One console, sign in to Xbox live and install the latest system update if available. To check available updates,
- Go to the System option and select the Settings option.
- In the next window, you can find the System option again. Click on that option and the Updates and Downloads section will appear.
- Go to the Updates tab and click on the Update available option.
- Follow on-screen instructions to update the console.
- When the console is updated, plug in the stereo headset adapter to the bottom of your Xbox controller.
- Connect the Xbox One controller to the console using a USB cable.
- Update information should appear automatically on the screen. Follow the instructions to complete the update.
- When the update is completed, unplug the USB and restart your console.
To update the controller using a PC, follow these steps accordingly:
- Press Win + R from the keyboard and the Run dialog box will appear.
- Type “ms-windows-store://home” in the box and hit the Enter key. It will open the Microsoft Store.
- Click on the Search icon at the top right corner of the Microsoft Store window and type Xbox Accessories.
- Hit Enter and the Xbox Accessories application will appear.
- Now click on the Get button to install the Xbox accessories on your computer.
- When the application is successfully installed, launch the program after connecting your Xbox one controller.
- A message will appear saying that it requires an update. Install the update by following on-screen instructions.
- When the update is completed, restart your computer.
Now check whether the Xbox One headset is working properly.
Solution 6: Replace The Xbox Controller
After applying all the above solutions, if you notice that the problem still persists, then you should replace the Xbox controller and check if it fixes your issue. If the problem appeared due to a faulty controller, then it should be resolved after replacing the controller. You can contact the device support through the Xbox website for a replacement. Alternatively, you may click on submit a replacement request to open the replacement section of the Xbox official website.
Solution 7: Replace The Headset
If there is no problem with the Controller, then you need to change or replace the headset you use. It might be incompatible or not supported by the Xbox One you have. If the headset was the reason to occur Xbox One controller headphone jack not working, then changing the headset will definitely resolve your issue.
Now you know the reasons behind getting the Xbox One controller headphone jack not working. You also know how to fix the Xbox headset not working issue. Which one of the provided solutions worked for you? Let us know by commenting below. If you are still having the Xbox one headset no sound, feel free to tell us here.