Are you receiving a similar message while turning on your Windows Security Center? Well, not only you, several Windows users are on the same page! Windows security center gets turned off without your consent. When you try to turn it on, a notification pops up like the above image with a message- The Windows Security Center Service Can’t Be Started. What to do next? You are in the right place. Our experts are going to show you how to get rid of this issue. So scroll down to know it all.
What Causes The Windows Security Center Service Can’t Be Started Error?
Windows security center is important to detect threats in your system. So when it stops working your PC may get vulnerable. Hence you need to fix the error as soon as possible.
To remove the root of this problem, you must understand the responsible causes first. We have enlisted the major reasons behind Windows security center service can’t be started in Windows 10 error. Have a look now.
- There is an issue with the security center, or it couldn’t start properly
- “log on user” option of the security center is not configured correctly
- A malware, virus, bug, or spyware restricting the service from starting or turning it off after beginning
However, some other causes can also trigger the Windows Security Center Service error. How to fix it? Find your answer below.
How To Fix Windows Security Service Can’t Be Started?
We have provided 4 potential fixes for the issue. Try them one by one and get rid of the Windows security center service error.
Method 1: Turn it on
We have already mentioned that, if Windows security service is not configured properly, it will show tantrums. So, you need to fix the configuration to discard the issue. Moreover, we will show you how to enable the Windows security center. Here, have a look.
- At first, press the Windows logo key + R button at a time
- Now, Run dialogue box will open, type “services.msc” there
- Next, click the “OK” button or press enter to proceed
- After that, a pop-up service window will open
- Look for Security Center there and double click on it
- Now, a general tab will open, find the “Startup type” option there and change it to Automatic
- Next, you have to change the Service status to start just by hitting the Star button.
- Click the OK button to continue
- Now you are ready to start with your Windows Security Center
- Finally, restart your PC and see if you can use Windows security center or not
If you still can’t use the security center, follow a few more steps to remove the issue.
Firstly, enter the Service window again using the same process given in step 1
Now look for Remote Procedure Call and Windows management instrumentation service
After that, change the startup type and the service status to Automatic and started
Finally, you are ready to recheck your Windows Security Center. If the issue still persists follow our next solution.
Method 2: Fix WMI repository
If our first solution couldn’t help you much, the next thing you can do is- repair your WMI Repository. It will surely remove the Windows security center service can’t be started in Windows 10 issue. Here is how to repair WMI Repo.
- At first, press the Windows logo key
- Next, type cmd as the search menu appears and select the command prompt
- Then you have to click on Run as administrator
- Now type “winmgmt /verifyrepository” in the pop-up window
- After that, hit the enter button to check the repository
- Now you should get a message “WMI repository is consistent”
Note: If you have got it, your WMI Repository is not the reason at all. You must follow our next solution to fix the Windows security center error.
- In case you have got “WMI repository is inconsistent” message, you have to repair your WMI Repository
Here is how?
- Open the command prompt using the same method
- Next, type “winmgmt/salvagerepository” in the command prompt
- Hit enter when the pop-up window appears
Once you are done, you will get a message “WMI repository has been salvaged.” Exit from the window and check if the issue is still there! If yes, follow the below steps.
Method 3: Run it as a local service
When the security service is not configured to run under the local service, it might trigger some issues like Windows security service can’t be started error.
However, you have to make sure that the process is running under local service to fix the issue. How? Here is it.
- Firstly, press the Windows logo key and “R” button at a time
- Next, the Run dialogue box will appear type in “services.msc”
- Now click ok, and hit the enter button to continue
- A pop-up window will be displayed now
- Find Security Center from there and double click on it
- Navigate to the login option in the same window and click on “This account” option
- Now you have to click “Browse” to proceed
- After that, type “Local Service” in the empty box and hit “OK”
- Now you have to enter a password and confirm it
- Finally hit the “OK” button
You have to repeat all of the steps mentioned above again for Windows Management Instrumentation if you want flawless security center. Once you finish it all, check if Windows Security Center is working properly or not.
Method 4: System file check
In case all of these above methods fail, the responsible cause of this error will be a corruption in the system file. Hence you have to run system file checker to fix the issue.
- Firstly, type “cmd” in the search bar to open the command prompt
- Next, right click on “Run as administrator” option
- Then a pop-up window will appear, select “Yes” there
- Command prompt will open now, type “sfc /scannow” and press the enter button
When the scanning process gets completed, find out the corrupted file. Repair or remove the same file and check whether the error is fixed. If not, then there are some major issues with your system. Either rush to a repair shop or ask us in the comment box below. We will reach out to you in no time!