Windows 10 handles notifications quite well, storing all of the pending notifications in the action center with a small bubble over the taskbar. When you run full screen apps, the new focus assist hides the notifications until you exit the full screen application. However, having unnecessary notifications stored in your action center can also quickly become annoying.
Windows 10 offers fine control over your notifications, and you can either block notifications completely, or customize the operating system to show notifications only from certain select apps and services. Here, I shall discuss how to remove notifications Windows 10 and how to turn off notifications from websites.
Also read: Action center not working
How To Block Notification In Windows 10?
Unnecessary notifications can be annoying and will efficiently distract you from your work, even if it is to dismiss them. Luckily, Windows 10 allows you to completely turn off notifications with a switch so that you receive no notifications at all. Else, you can customize a priority list to only receive notifications from selected applications and then turn on focus assist.
Also read: Notifications not working in Windows 10
Disable All Notifications In Windows 10
First, we shall discuss how to disable all notifications in Windows 10. This is quite easy to do and can be switched off with a single toggle switch. Disabling notifications will remove notifications from all apps and services on your computer, including the metro apps. You will find the appropriate setting by following this path:
Settings > System > Notifications & actions
In the right pane, turn off the toggle next to the following option:
Get notifications from apps and other senders
Under this option, you will also find a bunch of options that are basically advertisements from Microsoft. You can turn them off to stop receiving notifications about Windows products.
Disable Notifications For Individual Applications
If you do not want to disable all notifications, you do have an option to fine tune your notifications. Following this you will only receive notifications from the applications that you allow, meaning you can focus much more on your work while not getting distracted due to notifications.
Under the Notification toggle mentioned in the setting above, you will find a section named as follows:
Get notifications from these senders
Here, you will find a list of almost all the desktop apps and Metro apps installed on your computer. Turn off the toggle next to all the apps and services from which you do not want to see any notifications. Turning this off will prevent Windows from showing these notifications even in applications that are not running full screen.
Finally, there is a way to only receive notifications from certain high priority applications. Formerly Quiet Hours, Focus Assist in Windows 10 allows you to achieve just that, eliminating the unnecessary distractions due to notifications. Focus assist is quite customizable, and you need to follow these steps for the same:
- Open the action center by clicking on the icon for the same in the right bottom corner of the taskbar.
- Expand the quick actions if they are collapsed.
- Locate and right click on the Focus assist tile in your action center.
- Select Go to settings from the additional menu.
This will open the Settings app page for the same.
- Select the Priority only option if you want to get select notifications.
- Click on the following option to customize the apps and services that can send you notifications:
Customize your priority list
After you have successfully customized the Focus assist, you can enable this from the action center by clicking on the quick action entry of the same.
How To Turn Off Notifications From A Website?
If you wish to turn off all notifications you receive from a browser, we have already listed this option above. You will have to turn off the browser notifications to stop receiving the notifications from the websites. However, almost all browsers these days allow you to customize the way you receive notifications, and you can block notifications from a website as well.
You will find this option in the settings page of the concerned browser, which is listed below.
For Google Chrome
In Google Chrome (and most Chromium based browsers for that matter), you can turn off the notifications from individual websites. Follow these steps for the same:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the hamburger menu (⋮) next to the address bar.
- Select Settings from the context menu that appears.
- Go to the Privacy and Security section by scrolling down.
- Click on Site Settings > Notifications next.
Alternatively, directly enter the following in the address bar of your browser:
- If you wish to turn off all notifications, turn off the toggle next to the following option:
Sites can ask to send notifications
- If you wish to block only a handful of websites, click on the Add button next to the Block section.
- Add the domain of the website that you wish to block in the pop-up window that appears.
- Click on OK to block all notifications from the website.
For Mozilla Firefox
Firefox also allows you to turn off the notifications, and you need to follow these steps for the same:
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the hamburger menu (≡).
- Select Options from the context menu.
Alternatively, enter the following in the address bar of Mozilla Firefox:
- Switch to the Privacy and security section from the left pane menu.
- In the right pane, scroll down to the Permissions section.
- Click on the Settings button next to Notifications.
- Select the website that has requested permissions for notifications, and block the website by selecting this menu from the drop-down options.
- Make sure to mark the checkbox next to the following option at the bottom to prevent other websites from sending notification requests:
Block new requests asking to allow notifications
- Finally, click on the Save changes button and restart the browser for the changes to take effect.
Selecting the incorrect option in the push notifications had many users asking “how do I get rid of the pop in the bottom right corner?” So, there you have it. Now you know how to block notifications in Windows 10, and how to turn off notifications from a website in your browser using the information provided above. Comment below if you found this useful, and to discuss further the same.