When it comes to entering numerical into your PC, nothing beats the comfort, of a dedicated numeric keypad that comes attached with almost all sort of computer keyboards. Nearly all of us are aware of what does num lock do and decide to type numbers using the numeric keypad.
- 1 What Does Num Lock Do And Why Does It Malfunction?
- 2 Potential Fixes for Keyboard Beeping When Num Lock Pressed
What Does Num Lock Do And Why Does It Malfunction?
The dedicated num-lock keypad is the most suitable option to insert numbers into the PC. However, you need to switch it on to perform any typing task using the dedicated Numeric Keys. What if the keypad is on and the numeric keypad still doesn’t work?
Unfortunately, Windows 10 users often experience issues with the numeric keypad. There are some solutions available for the problem. But there is nothing as such profound which we can blame for causing the error.
However, some of the Windows users speculate that the recent Windows 10 update disables the numeric keyboard and the problem starts right there. Whereas, the rest consider the issue as a simple bug affecting the normal functionality of the keyboard. Thankfully, there are some solutions found to be potential enough in fixing the bug.
Potential Fixes for Keyboard Beeping When Num Lock Pressed
Windows 10 users have often reported that their keyboard starts beeping on pressing the Num Lock. Though the problem is a bit critical, it can be driven out by executing a set of efficient solutions carefully. Here we have provided the most preferred ones that have been proven as the best hacks for fixing the Num Lock issue.
Method 1: Enabling The Numeric Keypad Manually
There are possibilities that Windows 10 has disabled the numeric keypad on the keyboard. Num lock not working can be an unfortunate result of the issue; and in that case, enabling it is the only possible way for fixing the problem.
Knowing the right procedures of how to turn on Num lock is a must to conduct the operation successfully. In order to do that, go through the following steps:
- Navigate to the Num Lock option and if the key is turned on, press the Num Lock key to switch it off.
- In case the key is switched off, press and hold the Num Lock key for around 3-5 seconds and let it go.
The operation will enable the accessibility of the dedicated numeric keyboard forcefully, so you should be allowed to regain your access to it after this.
Method 2: Disabling the “Use the numeric keypad to move mouse” Option
In case the Method 1 doesn’t work out for you, you can deliberately go ahead and resolve the glitch by disabling the “Use numeric keypad to move the Mouse around the screen” option. It’s a pretty easy method that appears under the Settings menu in the Ease of Access section. To get it done at the quickest, proceed with the following steps:
- Go to the Start Menu and choose Settings.
- Select the Ease of Access option and navigate to the left pane to click on Mouse.
Move to the right pane and check if the “Use numeric keypad option is enabled to move the Mouse around the screen” option is switched off under the Mouse keys. Now close the utility and check if the problem is still appearing.
Method 3: Turning Off The Mouse Keys
Enabled mouse keys might be a possible reason for your Num Lock keypad issue. In that case, if you are not aware of how to turn off number lock or turn it on, it’s suggested to turn off the Mouse keys.
- Hit the Windows logo key while pressing R at the same time to let the Run box invoke.
- After that, hit the enter button after typing control.
- Select the Ease of Access option.
- Choose Change how your keyboard works under the Ease of Access tab.
- Ensure to uncheck the Turn on Mouse keys option.
- Open any doc or word file to check whether the number keys of your keyboard are working actively.
In case the keyboard beeping when num lock pressed is still bothering you, shift to the next solution and check if that works.
Method 4: Updating Your Keyboard Drivers
An outdated or missing keyboard driver might also restrict your numeric keypad to work actively. In that case, you must update your keyboard drivers manually to eradicate the problem. Follow the step-by-step procedure to install updated drivers for your keyboard:
- Visit the manufacturer’s website.
- Look for the recently updated and correct driver.
- Ensure that the driver you choose to update is carrying the compatibility features that suit with the current version of your Windows OS and your exact keyboard model.
- Download the driver and install it on your PC.
After your keyboard driver is updated successfully, you can try accessing the Num Lock keypad. Now check if still now the num lock not working is bothering your keyboard.
Method 5: Using A Separate User Profile
A user profile corruption can also be a highlighting cause of the number keyboard not working. Therefore, you have to ensure if the problem lies in your user account. To check that, try to login to Windows OS with a separate user account.
If you don’t have a different user account, create one at the soonest. However, if you already have another account, follow the below-mentioned procedure as described:
- Choose the Start button and go to Settings.
- Select Accounts from the options and choose Family & other users.
- Finally, hit the “Add someone else to this PC” option for accessing another local account.
As soon as you log in to Windows with your fresh user account, open your Notepad or MS. Word to check if your keyboard numbers work successfully.
We all know what does num lock do but we also know that electronic devices are bound to be vulnerable at some point of time. Though there are always a bunch of solutions that efficiently eliminate the glitch within the shortest possible time, we suggest you seek professional guidance and go for constant maintenance if the problem still persists.