AVG as a product has fallen from the grace of the users worryingly, with various vulnerabilities and errors that plague the users. AVG came into criticism in 2012, where the AVG toolbar used to get installed on the desktop computers without the consent of the users.
This was seen as a serious breach of trust among the users, as the toolbar was virtually impossible to remove from Windows. Here, I shall discuss how to uninstall the AVG toolbar from your computer.
Why Remove AVG Toolbar?
AVG security toolbar is installed without the permission of the users, usually along with other applications such as SlimCleaner or PowerISO. If you failed to pay attention during the installation and clicked on full install during the process, you will now have the toolbar in your browser, and the default search engine will also change to AVG secure search.
Although it comes from a subsidiary of the popular Avast technologies, it is considered as a potentially unwanted program. The toolbar is installed from outside the browser, which makes removing AVG safeguard toolbar fairly difficult for the users.
Uninstall AVG Toolbar With These Easy Steps
Since the toolbar is not part of the browser, you will find it nearly impossible to remove the AVG toolbar from within the browser. However, you can disable the toolbar in the browser, and then uninstall it using the control panel or third party uninstallers.
Step 1: Disable The Toolbar
Even if you use other popular browsers as default, you will require to open the Internet Explorer and disable the toolbar there. This might be due to the fact that most of the internet settings are still routed via the Internet Explorer app.
To disable the toolbar in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
- In Windows Search (Win + S), type Internet Explorer.
- Click on the appropriate result to open the browser.
- You will see the AVG secure toolbar just under the address bar.
- Right-click on the toolbar in your browser, and uncheck the box next to the AVG security toolbar.
This will disable the toolbar and prevent it from running when the app is launched alongside the browser.
Step 2: Uninstall The Toolbar From Control Panel
You will need to uninstall the toolbar next, in order to prevent it from launching itself again, or preventing AVG from collecting data. Follow these steps for the same:
- Open Windows Search as mentioned above.
- Type control and click on the appropriate option to launch the Control Panel.
- Go to the Programs and Features You will see the list of installed applications.
- Here, right-click on the AVG security toolbar and select Uninstall from the context menu.
If you installed the toolbar as a part of any other program like AVG antivirus, you would need to right-click on that program and select Repair. Here, you will need to remove the AVG toolbar and then finish the installation.
Step 3: Remove Residual Files
Although AVG is not exactly malware, the way the toolbar performs is similar to malware. You will use the Junkware Removal Tool from Malwarebytes, which is used to remove browser hijackers from web browsers.
- Use the following link to download Junkware Removal Tool from Malwarebytes.
- Double click on the JRT file that you just downloaded.
- Click on Yes if the User Account Control prompt asks for any permissions.
- The JRT will open in a command prompt window, and ask for a key input.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, as the program searches for adwares, PUPs, and junk applications installed on your computer.
Wait for the tool to search for the problematic files, and remove them as well. Once the process finishes, you will see a log, displaying the malicious files and registry keys removed from your computer.
NOTE: If you do not want to individually run Steps 2 and 3, you can use a third-party uninstaller like IObit and Revo to uninstall the AVG toolbar from your computer.
Step 4: Run Malware Scans
Once you have successfully completed AVG toolbar removal, it is time to run a malware scan. If you have a third-party premium antivirus software, you should be able to use the malware scan built into the software for the same. If not, you can use free antimalware programs like Malwarebytes.
Run a malware scan and remove any apps and files that may cause harm to your computer and your data.
So there you have it. Now you know how to remove the AVG toolbar from your computer using the steps provided above. Comment below if you found this useful, and to discuss further the same.