Windows 10 comes with many Accessibility features; each designed to increase the usability and productivity of the users. sticky keys and filter keys search Accessibility features that remove the need of pressing keys repeatedly or holding down keys for multi-key shortcuts.
Let us take a look at how you can turn off sticky keys and what you can do if you see sticky keys not turning off on a Windows 10 computer.
Also read: How to turn off Filter Keys
What Are Sticky Keys?
Sticky keys have been around for a long time now. This is an important feature for the users you use a lot of keyboard shortcuts consisting of multiple keys. with sticky keys turned on, a user has to press only one key at a time, therefore eliminating the need to press and hold keys.
For example, if you need to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the task manager, with Sticky keys turned on you only need to press each modifier once and then let go. You do not have to keep pressing all the keys to activate a combo.
Each modifier you press remains active until you press the next non-modifier key. Pressing a modifier twice locks the key till the third input.
How To Turn Off Sticky Keys Windows 10?
There are three main ways in which you can toggle sticky keys in Windows 10. Let us now discuss each method in brief.
Method 1: Use The Keyboard Shortcut
One of the easiest ways in which you can toggle the Sticky keys is by using the keyboard shortcut for the same. All you need to do is press the left Shift key five times in quick succession to toggle sticky keys on or off. Then click on Yes in the confirmation dialog box to turn Sticky Keys on or off.
You will hear a sound that indicates that the shortcut has been pressed. When disabled, you will hear a low pitched voice instead.
Method 2: Use The Settings App
The Settings app now contains most of the configuration settings and services required to change the way Windows works. You can toggle Windows 10 sticky keys on or off from within the Settings app as well. Follow these steps to locate the settings and then turn off sticky keys:
- Open the Windows Settings You can use the keyboard shortcut Win + I for the same.
- Go to the Ease of Access section by clicking on it.
- From the left pane menu, click on the Keyboard option.
- In the right column, you will find the Sticky keys section.
- Here, turn the toggle off next to the entry that says Press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts. This will turn off sticky keys. Turn the toggle towards on, to restart Sticky keys on your computer.
Here, you will also find other options that allow you to customize Sticky keys further. These options include
- Allow the shortcut key to start Sticky Keys
- Show the Sticky Keys icon on the taskbar
- Lock the modifier key when pressed twice in a row
- Turn off sticky keys when two keys are pressed at the same time
- Play a sound when a modifier key is pressed and released
Note: Turn off the Allow the shortcut key to start Sticky Keys option if you see the sticky keys get triggered when you play games on your computer.
Method 3: Using The Control Panel
You can use the traditional control panel to trigger sticky keys on your computer as well. You will find the appropriate options under the Ease of Access center, follow these steps for the same:
- Type Control Panel in Windows search box (Win + S), and click on the appropriate result to launch it.
- Here, click to open the Ease of Access center.
- Locate and click on Make the keyboard easier to use option from under Explore all settings.
- Under Make it easier to type option, click on the checkbox next to Turn on Sticky keys option to toggle Sticky keys on or off.
- Click on Set up Sticky Keys to open additional settings for the Sticky Keys.
- Here, you will find the same options you found under method 2, which allows a user to fine-tune the feature for better usability. Customize the Sticky keys to however you like using the provided options.
- Click on Apply followed by OK to save the changes.
So there you have it. Now you know how to turn off sticky keys in Windows 10 using the three methods provided above. Comment below if you found this useful, and to discuss further the same.