Most of the time, users prefer Microsoft Word instead of Notepad due to its formatting feature and spelling checker. However, when you open a received document or paste the text into Microsoft Word, it doesn’t show you red lines underneath misspelled words.
If you notice your spell check not working in word, don’t panic. It is a very common issue. You can fix it by changing some settings. The methods are listed below to guide you through the processes. Follow these steps to resolve your problem with Microsoft word spell check not working.
- 1 Fix Spell Check Not Working In Word!
- 2 Conclusion
Fix Spell Check Not Working In Word!
If the spelling check is not working, there might be several factors behind this problem, such as:
- The proof tool is not installed on your computer.
- Do not check spelling or grammar option is selected in settings.
- The default language is set to some other language.
- EN-US add-in is not enabled.
- wrongly configured Registry key.
To fix such issue with Microsoft word spelling checker, you need to resolve these factors listed above.
There are few Solutions below that might help you to acquire proper knowledge about spell checker missing and resolve the error. Follow and apply these fixes appropriately.
Method 1: Install Proofing Tool
If you don’t have the proofing tool installed on your computer, you may notice that your spell check not working in word. Follow these steps below to install the proofing tools easily:
- At first, close all the running programs.
- Click on the Start icon and go to the Control Panel app.
- Now search for the Programs and Features option and click on it.
- From the dialogue box appeared, select your installed Microsoft Office Edition and click on the Change button.
- Now select Add or Remove Features option.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Now expand the Office Shared Features section.
- Click on the icon to the left of the Proofing Tools option and select the Run from my computer option.
- Finally, click on the Continue option and the proofing tools should be installed in a few minutes.
Method 2: Enable EN-US Add-In
Sometimes disabling the add-in occurs spell check not working in word. You should enable that add-in first.
Follow these below-provided steps to enable the add-in:
- Open your Microsoft office word and click on the File tab.
- Now select the Options at the bottom of the left panel.
- In the Word Options dialogue box, go to the Add-ins tab on the left pane.
- Click on the drop-down arrow beside Manage option and select Disabled item option from the context menu.
- Now click on the Go button.
- In the disabled item dialogue box, check if the EN-US is available or not.
- If EN-US is available there, click on it and select the Enable option.
- Finally, click on the Close and OK button to save changes.
Method 3: Enable The ‘Check Spelling As You Type’ Option
To turn on spell check in word, follow these steps below:
- Click on the File tab on the top left corner of the Microsoft Office Word application.
- Select the Options from the left pane.
- Now, click on the Proofing section and enable the Check spelling as you type checkbox.
- In the Exceptions for section, disable all the check boxes.
- Finally, click on the OK button to save.
Method 4: Change The Default Language Selected
If any other language is selected as default other than what you use, you might notice spell check not working in word.
You should change the default language already selected in your Microsoft Word as well as the “Do not check spelling or grammar” option in settings. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Select the entire text of the specific document and go to the Review tab.
- Now click on the Language option from the Language group.
- Click on the Set Proofing language option.
- Now select the language you want from the list.
- If the ‘Do not check spelling or grammar’ checkbox is selected, clear the selection.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
Method 5: Perform Registry Modification
Some modifications to the registry files can fix the spell check not working in word. To modify the registry, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Start Icon and type Run in the search box.
- When the Run box opens, type ‘regedit’ and hit the Enter button.
- Now from the list, search and locate the subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override
- Right-click on the subkey and click on the Delete option.
- Now exit the registry editor and restart the Microsoft Word application.
Method 6: Rename The Default Template
If the problem still appears, you should try this method. To rename the default template, follow the instructions below:
- Exit if the Microsoft Word is running.
- Press Windows key + R and the Run dialogue box will open.
- Now enter this command in the dialogue box and click on OK:
- Locate normal.dotm and right-click on it.
- Select the Rename option to rename it.
- Enter a new name such as “newnormal” or “normalnew” and press Enter key to rename it.
- Now restart the Microsoft Word application, open a document and press F7 to check if the spell checker is working.
After following all the instructions discussed above, the Microsoft Word spelling checker error should not appear again.
Now you know the reasons behind spell check not working in word and also the solutions to turn on spell check in word. If you found this article helpful, let us know by commenting below. If you still have queries regarding Microsoft word spelling checker, feel free to tell us here.