Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol or DHCP automatically assigns a unique IP address to the devices that are connected to the network.
This IP address helps the router know where the information is coming from and where to send back the information. This process enables you to get the webpage or stream available on your device.
Sometimes due to network connectivity issues, this automatic process of renewing the lease may get interrupted.
So, you may need to renew the lease on Wi-Fi manually. Now let us see what renew a lease on Wi-Fi means and how to do it.
What Is Renew Lease On Wi-Fi?
While you attempt to connect to a Wi-Fi network service, DHCP assigns a temporary IP address to your device or the Lease.
To renew this lease means to change the IP address on your device manually.
This changes your current IP address and assigns a new address to your device. Then the user can connect to a Wi-Fi network through a router.
Why Should You Renew Lease On Wi-Fi?
When there are network connectivity issues or the current IP address is blocked by a website, then you can renew the IP address and connect to the Wi-Fi network.
You do not need to keep renewing the Lease as it is done automatically.
The client requests a new IP address from the server when the dial-in session ends.
Only if you face any network connectivity issue, then you can renew Lease on Wi-Fi.
1) How To Renew Lease On Mac?
To renew Lease Wi-Fi on Mac, follow the steps as given:
- Click on the Apple icon and expand the menu.
- Click on System preferences.
- Find the Network section and click on it.
- Select the Advanced option from the bottom right of the nest screen.
- From the tabs that appear, choose TCP/IP for changing the connection.
- From the right side of the window, select Renew DHCP Lease.
- Save the changes by clicking on the OK button. Your current IP address will be replaced by a new address and you will be able to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
2) How To Renew Wi-Fi On Windows?
To renew your Lease on Wi-Fi on Windows, follow the steps given below:
- Enter CMD in the Windows search box and right-click on Command Prompt from the given options. Choose to Run as administrator.
- Enter the following command in the Command Prompt window and press the Enter key:
- Now the network adapter will request a new IP address. The latest IP address will appear at the bottom of the screen.
3) How To Renew Wi-Fi Lease On Router?
You can also renew IP address on your router following the steps given below:
- You will need your admin account and password to sign in to the router.
- After signing in as an administrator, search for the Internet Connection status.
- Click on the Release button and then on the Renew button. If you have difficulties performing the above steps, you can visit the router’s website and follow the manual.
4) How to renew a lease on iPhone?
If you cannot connect to the Wi-Fi network through your iPhone or iOS device, then follow the guidelines given below to renew your lease on your iPhone:
- Open iPhone settings and tap on the Wi-Fi option.
- Next, tap on the ‘i’ icon of your connected Wi-Fi.
- Scroll down to find the Renew lease button and tap on it.
- You will see the Renew lease button appearing again at the bottom of the screen. Tap on it.
- Now the router will assign a new IP address, and you will be able to connect to the network.
5) How To Renew Lease On Android Device?
To renew the lease on your Android mobile, follow the instructions given below:
- Open your Android phone settings and tap on the Wi-Fi option.
- Next, tap and hold on the network you are connected to.
- From the next window, scroll down to find Forget network button.
- This will disconnect your recent Wi-Fi connection. Enter your credentials and reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- What does it say to renew the lease on iPhone Wi-Fi?
This means that the IP address for the network has expired, and so your device needs to renew its lease on iPhone Wi-Fi.
The network server generally auto-renews the lease, but if there is any problem, you may need to renew it manually.
- How long does it take to renew a Wi-Fi lease?
When the Lease reaches midway of duration, then it automatically renews itself. The standard DHCP lease time is 24 hours, but this can be changed per needs.
- Does renewing a lease make Wi-Fi faster?
No, renewing a lease does not make Wi-Fi faster. You can renew the lease when you are having connectivity issues. The new IP address refreshes the connection.
Let us know if the above article was helpful to you. For further queries, ask us in the comment section provided below.