The SD card holds so many important photos, videos, and other documents that if the photos on SD card are gone, it is necessary to get the data back as soon as possible. In this article, we will talk about how to use a free SD card recovery software to rescue your files in different cases.
SD cards are widely used in portable digital devices like a digital camera, Android phone, car digital video recorder, etc as a means to extend the devices’ memory capacity for storing images, videos, documents, and more. Generally speaking, SD cards can be categorized into standard SD cards, mini SD cards, and micro SD cards. Insert an SD card into your portable device or computer directly or through a card reader, and you could use it immediately.
To view and use photos, videos, or other kinds of files on your computer, you will need to insert the SD card to a card reader, afterward connect the card reader to your PC or laptop. ( You can find more information about the card reader in this article: What Is SD Card Reader & How to Use It?)
Making a data backup and is a good habit. However, many people lose the photos, videos on the SD card without any backup. Most of the time, you just don’t know what issue you are facing and whether your lost files are recoverable.
MiniTool Software company has been dedicated to developing excellent, innovative data recovery solutions, partition management, data backup and restore tools to millions of users from 180+ countries and areas for over 10 years. Trusted by industry experts around the globe, MiniTool software products have got featured by plenty of authoritative technology sites such as TechRadar, PCWorld, CNET, FileHorse, Softpedia, LifeHacker, etc.
Their flagship product MiniTool Power Data Recovery can help you quickly analyze the causes of file loss and restore your images, videos, documents from your SD card in various situations. You can read on to get more information.
Reasons for SD Card Files Loss
Many unexpected factors can cause data loss on your SD card. The followings are some common reasons that you may encounter.
- You may delete or format some photos and videos on the SD card by mistake, or bend it heavily
- Viruses and malware are big threats to the security of the pictures and other data on the card.
- Some faults happen due to the improper use of the device. As a result, you may lose all the photos, videos, and other files on it, unfortunately.
- When using an SD card on PC, a power outage can shut down procedure suddenly and then cause the loss of unsaved files and existing files to get corrupted.
- If you format an SD card by mistake, you will lose all your files on it.
- The natural disaster such as fire and tornadoes will destroy your SD card as well as all the data on it.
- Liquid damage is a nightmare for the SD card. If you spill liquid on the SD card, the liquid may even damage your SD card. In this situation, you can’t access the data any longer.
- You may lose the device by mistake or someone steals it from you. When this happens, all the files will be gone.
Best Free SD Card Data Recovery Software
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a good choice for Windows users to recover data from SD card. With this professional software, you can retrieve files from different kinds of data storage devices like a computer hard drive, pen drive, SD card, memory card, etc.
This software supports various file types like missing pictures, lost music files, disappeared VCF files, and more. No matter you are a novice user or advanced user, you can use this software to retrieve files from an SD card.
This software has four data recovery modes as follows:
- This PCis designed to rescue the deleted or lost pictures, videos, movies, etc. from logically damaged, formatted, or RAW partition in storage devices.
- Removable Disk Drive can help you get your photos and other files back from digital media storage devices, including USB flash drives, SD cards, memory cards, pen drives, and more.
- Hard Disk Drive mode can restore items like pictures, documents, videos, etc. from the lost partition that is caused by a system update, hard drive failure, OS corruption and more.
- CD/DVD Drivedata recovery mode will empower you to retrieve lost and deleted files from damaged and scratched CDs/DVDs.
To retrieve data from the SD card, you need to click Removable Disk Drive or This PC on the free SD card recovery software.
In case your drive is divided into more than one partition, Removable Disk Drive is a better choice because it allows you to scan the whole drive at the same time. We recommend using the relatively reliable and convenient Removable Disk Drive recovery mode to rescue your memory card files.
3 Steps to Recover Files from SD Card
This software is very easy to understand and use. Before using this software, please prepare an SD card reader in advance.
Step 1: Insert your SD card into a card reader and connect the card reader to your computer.
Step 2: Run the software and click the Removable Disk Drive. Then, select the target drive to start a deep data scan.
Step 3: Now check the files you want to recover from the scan results, and then, click Save to choose a suitable path to store these files.
Here Are 3 Things You Need To Pay Attention To:
This software enables you to preview 70 types of files before you recover them. This Preview option is useful for file identification.
The Type and Find options of this software assist you to find your needed files in each folder more quickly.
When you choose the destination storage location to save your needed files, you must NOT select the original SD card. If the deleted or lost files are overwritten by the recovered files, they will become unrecoverable.
After finishing these 3 steps, you can access the specific storage location to view and use these SD card recovery data immediately.
Some Situations of SD Card Data Recovery
Now we will list some main problems you may encounter and tell you how this MiniTool software helps you solve the problems. Perhaps, you can find your situation below.
- Human error is the top reason of SD card data loss. If you delete some videos, photos or other files by mistake, don’t hesitate to use this freeware to retrieve deleted files from your SD card. As long as the files are not overwritten by new data, this software will help you.
- SD Card Is Blank or Has Unsupported File System is a common issue found on Android devices. This problem is mainly caused by RAW file system, virus infection, rude extraction, logical damages, etc.
- A dead SD card means that you can’t open the SD card and access the files on it. If the card is not physically damaged, you can use this MiniTool software to restore the important data.
- Sometimes when you try to open the SD card in Windows Explorer, you may receive an SD card not formatted error. No worries. You can use MiniTool software to recover files on the SD card and then format it to the normal state.
- In certain circumstances, you may meet an error message saying “This Memory Card Cannot Be Used” when you open a digital camera. This error message indicates that the SD card may be corrupted. If you don’t want to lose your important pictures and videos, you can try MiniTool to restore them.
- “Camera Says Card Cannot Be Accessed” is an error message you may receive when using the digital camera. Reinserting/changing or formatting the SD card might fix this issue, however, you will lose its pictures and videos after formatting your memory card. So, a better method is using MiniTool software to restore the pictures and other files in advance.
Most people don’t know whether the lost and deleted files are overwritten. The physical damage of SD cards is a rare situation. Don’t give up the opportunity to recover your files when they are missing. MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a solid choice to help you.