The not equal symbol is not part of any standard keyboard, so what to do if you need to type it?
Here I am going to discuss what you can do when you need to type but do not have not equal sign on the keyboard.
How To Type Not Equal Sign?
Check the methods below to know how to type the not equal symbol when there is no not equal sign on the keyboard.
Procedure 1: Using Character Map On Windows
In this utility, you can select any character you need. To type not equal sign using character map, you need to follow these steps:-
- Click on the Windows Start button.
- Type and select Character map.
- Navigate to find the not equal sign and select the symbol.
- Then copy it and paste it where you want to.
Procedure 2: Using Insert Tool On Microsoft Office Tools
In Microsoft Office Word, you can add not equal sign to your document using the symbol under the Insert tab option.
- Click on the Start menu. Search for Microsoft Word and select the 1st displayed option.
- After opening it, go to the Insert tab. Then select the symbol tool. Finally, select the not equal to symbol.
In Microsoft Excel, you can find it in the insert tab. Check the following steps:
- Click on the Start menu and enter Excel. Select the proper option.
- Click on the Insert tab and choose the Symbol tool.
- Finally, click on Insert after selecting the symbol.
Follow the same steps to insert not equal to symbol in the PowerPoint.
Procedure 3: Using Keyboard Shortcuts
This method will work only for Microsoft office users. Using a keyboard shortcut is a pretty quick method to add the ‘not equal to’ symbol.
So follow the steps and try it:
Open Microsoft Office.
- Type 2260 and then press Alt + X keys simultaneously.
- ≠ Sign appears in place for 2260 automatically.
Procedure 4: Customize Keyboard Shortcuts
You can easily add your customized shortcut if you need to insert ‘not equal sign’ frequently.
To create the shortcut, follow these steps-
- Open Microsoft Office. Click on the Insert tab.
- Select Symbol and from the drop-down menu, click on the More Symbols options.
- Find the ‘not equal symbol’ and select it.
- Click on Shortcut Key to add your shortcut.
- Press your key simultaneously (do not type) on Press new shortcut key dialogue box.
- Click on the Assign option. Close the window and test your customized keyboard.
Procedure 5: Using AutoCorrect Option
You can also insert the ‘not equals sign’ by using the auto-correct option.
Follow the steps to set up the autocorrect option –
- Open Microsoft Office and go to the Insert tab.
- Select Symbol from the drop-down menu and click on More Symbols.
- Locate the not equal symbol and select it.
- Click on the Auto Correct option.
- In the replace box, enter your keys (e.g. aab) and click on the Add button.
- Select Ok, close the window and type the entry on the document to see if the changes work.
Procedure 6: Keyboard Shortcut on Mac
If you are a Mac user, then you can enter the ‘does not equal’ sign by performing the following steps.
- If want to use the character viewer to insert ‘not equal sign’, then press Control + Command + Space bar to open the character viewer.
- Search not equal sign on the search section and select the Not Equal Symbol.
Procedure 7: On Android Phones
On Androids, you can also type in ‘does not equal sign’. To know how to type not equal sign, follow the steps-
Mostly on mobile, there are three panels for typing – one for the letters and the other two for symbols.
- Locate the equal sign on the symbols panel.
- Then long press equal sign and select the does not equal sign.
So, now you know how to type not equal sign on keyboard.
If you still have questions regarding this matter, ask them in the comment section. Feel free to share your thoughts.