While trying to log in to Minecraft servers, many players are getting the “Failed to log in: The authentication servers are currently not reachable. Please try again” error.
Minecraft server errors are common but can be annoying if you have stored your game progress on the server or are not playing alone offline.
Here we have given 8 fixes for the issue, so perform them one by one to fix the error.
- 1 What To Do When Minecraft Authentication Servers Are Down?
- 2 Final Words
What To Do When Minecraft Authentication Servers Are Down?
Follow this step-by-step guide when Minecraft authentication servers are not reachable.
Also, know what to do when Minecraft is laggy.
1) Check Your Internet Connection
If you do not have a stable internet connection, you will have difficulty connecting to the Minecraft servers.
To check the internet status, click on the internet icon from the notification tray.
Check if you are connected to the internet. You can also click on this link to check the internet speed.
You can also restart your router and check if this works. If your internet connection is stable, check the Minecraft server status.
2) Check The Minecraft Server Status
Server outages can also be the reason for Minecraft authentication server errors.
So, click here to check the Minecraft server status. If the servers are down, wait until it goes live again.
If there is no server outage, then log in and log out into the Minecraft Launcher.
3) Log Out And Log Into Minecraft Launcher
You can try logging out and then logging in back to the Minecraft Launcher. To do so, follow the steps given:
- Open Minecraft Launcher and click on your Username icon from the top right corner.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the Logout option.
After logging out again, log in with your credentials.
Check if this fixes the problem. If not, then force update Minecraft.
4) Force Update Minecraft Launcher
An outdated Minecraft launcher can be the reason for the Minecraft authentication error.
To fix this, you can also force update the Minecraft launcher. To do that, follow the steps given below:
- Open the Minecraft Launcher and click on Options.
- Choose the Force Update option. Wait till the updating process finishes.
If the error persists, flush DNS from the next solution.
5) Flush DNS & Reset the Network Configuration
Windows stores the IP addresses of the websites you visit.
This makes the process faster when you revisit the same website.
But if the cache becomes corrupted, then you can get an authentication server error while playing Minecraft.
So, flush DNS & reset the network configuration to fix the problem.
To do so, follow the instructions given below:
- Type CMD in the Windows search bar and run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Copy & paste the following line of commands in the elevated Command Prompt window and hit Enter each time.
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
After running all the above commands, check if you can play Minecraft without any errors. If not, then change DNS.
6) Change DNS
You can try changing the DNS if the above processes could not fix the Minecraft error.
To do so, follow the below-given steps:
- Press Win + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- Select Network & Internet option.
- Next, click on Advanced Network Settings > More Network Adapter Options.
- Right-click on your Network Connection and open its Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 [TCP/IPv4] and click on Properties.
- Set the Preferred DNS Server address as 184.108.40.206 and the Alternate DNS Server address as 220.127.116.11.
- Save the changes made by clicking on the OK button. This should fix the problem. If the problem persists, log out and log in back to the Minecraft Launcher.
7) Reinstall Minecraft
If the earlier methods didn’t fix the Minecraft authentication servers down error, reinstall Minecraft.
A fresh installation often fixes these types of problems.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Settings.
- Click on Apps then Apps & Features.
- Locate Minecraft from the list of installed programs and click on the three dots menu. Select Uninstall.
- Reinstall Minecraft and check if this fixes the problem. If not, then contact the Minecraft support team.
8) Contact Minecraft Support
You can contact the Minecraft support team if reinstalling Minecraft does not help.
Fill in the form from the website and mention your problem there. Follow the on-screen instructions given by the Minecraft support team to solve the problem.
Let us know which of the above methods worked for you to fix the Minecraft servers authentication error.
For any further issues, ask us in the comments section provided below, and we shall revert soon with solutions.