With Windows 10, your Microsoft account has become your login credentials. If you did not previously have a Microsoft Account, you will have created one during the initial setup. Your Microsoft Account is also used to activate your copy of Windows 10 using the new digital license feature, where the product key is stored on your account.
Here, I shall discuss how to manage Microsoft account, and how to add or delete user account Windows 10.
Can You Merge Microsoft Accounts?
If you created more than one Microsoft Account one of which you do not need anymore, you may be wondering if there is a possible way to merge Microsoft accounts. Unfortunately, Microsoft still has not added this feature on its platform, and you cannot merge Microsoft accounts yet.
How To View Account Details On Windows 10?
Your Windows 10 device has an accounts section in the Settings app, where you will find your account summary. You can also manage Microsoft account from here, change profile picture used on the device, add your account to the device, and much more.
There are two types of accounts in Windows 10, local account, and Microsoft account. The local account is one saved to your device and is not connected to any Microsoft account. The settings are also saved locally only, and will not be carried over to other devices that you own.
To see your account details, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings You can use the keyboard shortcut Win + I.
- Click to go to Accounts.
The left pane should automatically highlight Your info.
Here, you can check the account that is linked to your device. If you see your email address under the Username, it means your device is connected to a Microsoft Account. However, if you see Local account written under your username, your device is not syncing with any Microsoft account.
How To Add User In Windows 10?
You can set up your Windows 10 device to be used by more than one user, with each user getting individual desktops and login credentials. This can also be done from the Accounts section of the settings app, and you can add either family members, or others as well.
To add family members, you need to follow these steps for the same:
- Open the Accounts page within the Settings app as mentioned above.
- From the left pane menu, select Family and other users.
- In the right pane, click on the button under Your family section that says the following:
Add a family member
- In the next step, select if you wish to add a member or an organizer. If you want to create a user for your kids, select the member option. For adults, select the organizer option instead.
- Enter the email address for the user, which will be used to sync their changes.
Note: There seems no way right now not to include an email address. You will have to create one if you wish to add a child user.
- Click on the Confirm button.
When you complete the steps, a new user account will be created for the name and email that you entered. The user will receive an email invitation to join your family. Once the user accepts the invitation, the organizer can then control the account on the user device.
If you want to add other users to your computer without adding them to your family, follow these steps instead:
- Open the Family and other users section similar to step 2 above.
- In the right pane, scroll down to the Other Users section.
- Click on the button that says the following:
Add someone else to this PC
- If you have the email address of this user, add the credentials in the next prompt.
- If you do not want to add the email or do not have the login credentials at the moment, select the option that says the following:
I don’t have this person’s sign-in information
- Follow the on-screen details, and click on the Next button.
- Finally, click on the Finish button to complete adding the user to your computer.
Note: If you select step 5, you can add a user without a Microsoft account. This will create a local user instead.
How To Delete User Account Windows 10?
Depending on the type of user that you created, you can also remove an account that you previously added to your Windows 10 account. However, if you want to delete a family member, you will have to do that online from a browser, but you can access the page link quickly from the settings app.
- Open the Family and other users section similar to how mentioned above.
- Under the Your Family section, locate and click on the following link:
Manage family settings online
- This will open the family account setting in your browser.
- Here, go to the profile that you wish to delete by click on the name of the user.
- From the More options drop-down menu, click on the following option:
Remove from family group
- Click on the Remove button to confirm the action.
Deleting a non-family member is easier, as you get to remove local accounts from within the Settings app itself. Simply navigate to the Other users section, and click on the user that you wish to remove. Click on the Remove button and follow the on-screen instructions to remove the account and the associated data.
So there you have it. Now you know how to manage Microsoft account in Windows 10 using the information provided above. Comment below if you found this useful, and to discuss further the same.