Windows 10 was originally launched in 2015, with an increased focus on security patches and regular updates. With Windows 10, Microsoft changed the focus to mobile devices that are battery operated, making some changes and tweaks that would make the operating system more suited for touch-enabled devices and power efficient.
When you change the usage mode from Desktop to Tablet in Windows 10, you can make the keyboard automatically appear on the screen when there is no keyboard attached to the device.
How To Make Touch Keyboard Automatically Appear?
Input in Windows 10 can be done with either the physical keyboard or the Windows 10 touchscreen keyboard. If you do not have a physical keyboard with you, you can use the touch keyboard to type on your tablet or touch-enabled device.
The fastest way to launch the touch keyboard is by using the Run window. follow these steps:
- Open a Run window by pressing Win + R.
- Type tabtip and press Enter to launch the touch keyboard on your Windows 10 device.
By default, when you change from desktop to tablet mode, the keyboard does not appear. This can be, however, changed from the Windows Settings app. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Windows Settings You can use the keyboard shortcut Win + I.
- Click on Devices.
- If the left pane menu, click on Typing.
- In the right pane, scroll down to find the Windows 10 touch keyboard settings.
- Turn the toggle towards On next to the option that says, ‘Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there is no keyboard attached to the device’.
In the newer Windows 10 versions, you may see it as ‘Automatically show the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there is no keyboard attached to your device’.
Windows 10 is becoming more touch-friendly, you have the option to make touch keyboard automatically appear when you change from the Desktop mode to the tablet mode. There is also a setting that allows you to add the standard keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option. To enable it, turn the toggle next to ‘Add the standard keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option’.