A computer, these days, stores vital information about a lot of different things, and hence is a very powerful tool in itself. When you store a significant amount of data on your computer, it is natural to be worried about the security of the data that you own.
There are many privacy protocols in place on multiple websites that can help you secure your valuable data. The online measures are beneficial if you spend a lot of time on the internet, or do a majority of your work online. However, you also need offline security measures as well.
What Is A Firewall?
A firewall is referred to as a security component that helps you in securing your data, by monitoring the network traffic over your connection. A firewall works on some preset security protocols and prevents harmful data from being downloaded onto your computer.
Since a Firewall filters the traffic onto your connections, you will be secure, as malicious users will not have access to your computer as well. Thus, it acts as a barrier between your computer and the internet, keeping your files and other data safe.
Turn Windows Defender On Or Off
There are certain situations, where you will find the need to turn off the Windows Firewall. You may find the need to test some applications or troubleshoot the connections to your computer. If you want to turn off the Windows Defender Firewall, here are the steps that you can follow:
- Open a Run dialog by pressing Win + R.
- Type control.exe and press Enter to launch the Control Panel dialog.
- Change the View by to Large or Small icons, if you see that it is previously set to Category.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the left part of the window, click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option.
- Here, fine-tune your Firewall settings. You can choose to block all connections over all the networks, or choose to turn the Firewall on or off for one of the networks.
- Finally, click on OK to save your settings.
How Do I Allow An App Through Firewall?
When the firewall restricts access for an app over the internet, you will see that the application fails to communicate over the connections freely. This will result in a significant delay in downloading the data, and sometimes you may notice that some data is not downloaded at all.
If the Firewall service that you are using misdiagnoses some application as malicious, you may notice that the application starts misbehaving, and there will be no data downloaded on your computer. In situations like these, you will have to allow an app through the firewall to regain the normal functioning of the app.
You can follow these steps to allow the misbehaving application through the Windows Firewall:
- In Windows Search (keyboard shortcut Win + S), type firewall.
- Select the Windows Defender Firewall (control panel entry) from the list of search results.
- On the left-hand side of the window, locate and click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the list of allowed apps, locate your application.
- Make sure that both the checkboxes under Private and Public networks are checked.
- If you do not see your application, click on the Change settings button at the top.
- Here, click on Allow another app… button in the bottom part of the window.
- Next, follow the on-screen instructions to add your misbehaving application through the firewall.
- Finally, click on the Add button to add your app to the list of allowed apps.
- Again, check if both the boxes under Private and Public networks are checked.
- Click on OK to save your changes.
How Do I Block An App Through Firewall?
While allowing an app is quite simple, to block an app through the firewall you will need to allow a rule through the Firewall with Advanced Security. Follow these steps if you wish to block an app through the Firewall:
- Open Windows Defender Firewall as shown in the steps above.
- On the left-hand side of the window, click on Advanced settings.
- Here, in the leftmost pane, you will notice two protocols, for which you need to create blocks.
- First, click on Inbound Rules.
- In the rightmost pane, click on New Rule…
- Follow the wizard to complete blocking an app. Under the Rule Type, select Program.
- Under the Program, locate the app executable file by using the Browse option.
- Next, under Action, select Block the connection.
- Select the profiles where this rule will be applied, and then create a name for this rule.
- Finally, click on Finish to block the application through the firewall.
- Next, repeat the steps for Outbound rules as well.
A firewall is one of the most basic security protocols that can help you prevent your data from malicious users and other threats. Now you know all the actions that you can perform by using the Firewall to prevent your data from being under seize. Comment below if you found this useful, and share this article with others who might benefit from this information.