The keyboard is one of the primary and most important peripherals of computers. It is basically used to input data and the most basic way to communicate with a computer. But sometimes it doesn’t respond or keeps typing automatically.
If you notice your keyboard typing random letters on Windows 10, you should not be worried. It is an unusual issue, but fixable. Some effective solutions are discussed below. Keep on reading to know how to resolve such an issue properly.
How To Fix Keyboard Typing Random Letters On Windows 10?
Well, according to user reports, they have encountered keyboard issues including random letters typing automatically or typing without any key press or keeps typing a single letter. These issues can occur due to several reasons. Follow the instructions below to have some ideas about fixing this issue.
Note: Before trying any solutions here, make sure that there is no damage to the keycaps, or some keys are not being pressed accidentally due to dust deposits.
Solution 1: Unplug And Plug Back In The Keyboard
Sometimes issues get resolved with just a plug out and plug-in method. It is one of the easiest solutions and you should definitely try it. Plug out the keyboard from your computer, ensure that there is no damage to the connector cable and USB port, then plug back into your computer to check if this method helps you to fix keyboard pressing keys by itself.
Solution 2: Attach The Keyboard To Another Computer
Your keyboard is typing without pressing keys and you have no idea what to do. Well, you should check if any of its keys are stuck. If you find one, remove the key and check if the problem is resolved.
If the problem is fixed, gently insert the key back to your keyboard and again check if the issue appears.
In case the problem still persists, then unplug the keyboard from your computer and attach it with another PC. If the keyboard works properly, then it might be due to misconfiguration in your computer settings.
If you are using a laptop, you should take it to the repair center to find out the cause of such an issue.
Solution 3: Run Keyboard Troubleshooter
If the issue still appears, then you should run the keyboard troubleshooter. Troubleshooting your device helps you to detect errors and fix them automatically.
To run the keyboard troubleshooter, follow the steps below:
- Press Win + I from the keyboard and select the Update and Security option from the Settings window.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option from the left panel and select the Keyboard option.
- Press Run the troubleshooter button and your system will start scanning for issues related to the connected keyboard.
- Windows will automatically fix if any issue gets detected.
If you notice your keyboard keeps typing and the problem is not resolved yet, continue to the next solution.
Solution 4: Reinstall The Keyboard Driver
According to user reports, sometimes the keyboard issue occurs due to an outdated or corrupted driver of your keyboard. Keyboard typing random letters on Windows 10 might not appear after updating your driver. So you need to find any pending updates for your keyboard driver.
To know more about driver update and the procedures, click on how to update the driver using Device Manager.
Solution 5: Update Windows
If your Windows firmware is outdated, keyboard typing random letters on Windows 10 might appear. Generally, Windows installs available updates automatically. You can also manually check for pending updates for your Windows by following the steps provided below.
- Press Win + I from the keyboard and the Settings window will appear.
- Select the Update and Security option.
- Click on Check for updates option to check if there is any pending update available for your Windows version.
If Windows detects any available update, it will be automatically downloaded in the background. After restarting your PC, the updates will be installed on your computer.
If updating your Windows doesn’t work, check our next solution.
Solution 6: Check If Sticky Keys Are Enabled
Sometimes if you have the Sticky Key feature enabled, it can cause keyboard typing issues.
You should disable the Sticky Keys feature to ensure whether the problem occurred due to this feature. You can easily disable the sticky key feature on Windows 10 by following these steps:
- Press Win + I from your keyboard and select Ease of Access option from the Settings window.
- Select the Keyboard option from the left panel.
- Locate the Sticky Key feature and make sure to disable it by clicking on the toggle button.
- Uncheck the option ‘Allow the shortcut key to start Sticky Keys’.
- Scroll down and disable all options under the ‘Make it easier to type’ section.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
After disabling the Sticky Keys feature, the keyboard problem should be fixed.
Solution 7: Use External Keyboard On Your Laptop
If you have a laptop and found your keyboard typing random letters on Windows 10, it might be that one of your keyboard’s keys is broken or damaged. You can use an external keyboard. This is probably the best way to avoid such issues.
You need to uninstall your built-in keyboard driver first. To do so, follow the instructions stated below:
- Press Win + R and type devmgmt.msc in the search box.
- Hit Enter to open the Device Manager window.
- Expand the Keyboards section and select your keyboard driver.
- Right-click on it and select the Uninstall option.
- On the next window, confirm this process and your keyboard driver will be uninstalled.
After uninstalling your current keyboard driver, plug-in the external keyboard to your laptop and the Windows will automatically install the required keyboard driver.
Uninstalling the built-in keyboard might help you to resolve the keyboard pressing keys by itself. Although it is not a fix for the issue, you can get rid of the issue by following this method.
You might also try on-screen keyboard as an alternative to a physical keyboard. To start on-screen keyboard, press Win + R and type osk in the search box. Hit Enter and the on-screen keyboard will appear.
Now you know the causes behind your keyboard typing random letters on Windows 10 and how to fix it when you find your keyboard pressing keys by itself. Let us know which of the solutions worked for you by commenting below. If still, your keyboard keeps typing after applying all the fixes discussed above, feel free to tell us here.