Call-tracking is a marketing technology that tracks incoming calls tied to specific advertising campaigns or ads.
In essence, it is a code that automatically collects statistics on customer calls once installed on the website.
It is a helpful tool for lead management that easily integrates with a lead management system. Let’s discuss this in more detail.
What is AdWords Call Tracking?
Google call tracking is a free tool for contextual advertising (Google AdWords). It integrates easily with any software for lead management and is quick to set up.
With its help, the marketing department receives statistics via lead management software and evaluates the effectiveness of a particular ad, group of posts, or keywords.
Thanks to the data obtained, it is possible to readjust budget flows by investing money into the most profitable advertising channels.
There are three types of call tracking available from Google:
- Static. Each ad has a specific phone number linked to the “primary sources” of information. However, the numbers themselves are not tied to the user in any way, allowing only general information about the calls. This option is more often used for offline advertising.
- Dynamic. In order to get detailed data on each advertising channel, users are tied to a unique phone number. Sources of information are only ads placed in Google searches. This option costs more than static but is more useful in conjunction with online advertising (targeted and contextual).
- Combined. It includes elements of both previous types of call tracking. It is used when you need analytics of different depths for different channels.
Google AdWords call tracking has limitations and disadvantages that should be considered when working with it:
- Only short phone numbers are supported
- Phone functionality is minimal, with no ability to do geo-routing, schedule automation, etc
Despite its disadvantages, call tracking is in high demand by small businesses that use AdWords for promotion.
For optimal results, an advertising campaign should not go beyond $500.
A free lead association management solution to the problem with the issuance of minimal statistics, without the collection of call records and routers, is sufficient to satisfy advertisers’ needs.
How Does Google Adwords Call Tracking Work?
Call tracking Google has a clear algorithm of operation. An incoming call is processed with the fixation of the following data:
- Whether the client reached the phone number listed in the ad
- How many seconds the call lasted
- Time from the beginning to the end of the conversation
- Subscriber’s area code
The information collected allows you to understand what the duration of calls more often leads to purchasing goods or services.
It also shows what regions are the most active in customer demand. Knowing this data and additionally analyzing it in lead management systems is enough to reconfigure targeting to increase sales.
Google service allows you to install call-tracking scripts on third-party websites in two ways:
- Manual installation is offered for advanced users who know how to program and are not afraid of coding errors. All scripts are written in the code on the site using a special editor or Notepad.
- Two-step setup via Google Tag Manager (GTM) is available for users with insufficient programming skills.
The connection of AdWords call tracking to Google Analytics allows you to include data about website traffic in your reports. Data is updated daily, from 2 to 4 a.m.
How To Get A Phone Number For An Adwords Tracking Call?
Phone number replacement can be set up in the ad itself and/or on the website, provided the user gets to it after clicking on the ad. The principle of free call-tracking from Google is as follows:
- User clicks on an ad in a search
- Google replaces your phone number on the website with its own
- Person dials the replaced phone number
- Call goes to Google’s phone number and is forwarded to you
- Data collected is sent to Google Ads as a call-conversion
Google’s call tracking number is a unique phone number that is used in your ads to track calls from potential customers.
You need to enable call reports in your account settings for it to work. Google call tracking numbers are not available in all countries.
Adding a phone number to the ad is a way to increase ad conversions. Businesses should use it when mobile traffic is on the rise because it is more convenient for the mobile user to call in one click from the ad.
Calls from such ads also need to be tracked via retail lead management, as do conversions from the website.
Otherwise, you won’t see how many people are calling from such ads. That means you won’t know how effective it is and whether it’s worth investing in your budget.
Leave a Reply