VideoLAN’s VLC media player is one of the most popular music players for desktops and smartphones alike. Apart from playing your media files, you can also use it to convert these videos to different formats. Although it is not perfect and you may come across errors with codecs, it is a great tool if you do not want to invest in a third-party video converter.
Here I shall discuss how to convert videos using VLC media player.
How To Convert WEBM To MP4 Using VLC Media Player?
VLC Is free to use the open-source media player. if you do not wish to install a third-party converter, the VLC media player has a great converter, and you can use it with a few simple steps. follow these steps to use the VLC convert feature:
- Open VLC media player on your computer.
- From the top ribbon, click on the Media menu.
- In the context menu that appears, click on the Convert/ Save… option.
The keyboard shortcut to this option is Ctrl + R.
- It should open the Open media dialogue box, where you will be able to select one or more multiple files that you want to convert. Click on the Add button.
- Navigate to the directory that has the target video, and select the video that you wish to convert.
- Click on the Open button.
- Change the settings accordingly and click on the Convert / Save… button.
- In the next window that opens, click on the radio button next to Convert.
- Change the output file type from the Profile drop-down menu. There are a variety of formats supported by VLC, so choose the output video format accordingly.
- Finally, click on the Start button to begin the conversion.
Here, you will find three options, which mean the following:
Display the output: This will Play the output in the VLC player during the conversion process.
Deinterlace: You will need to check this option while converting from interlaced video formats like 1080i to progressive formats (1080p).
Dump Raw Input: This option keeps the file sizes intact, while only changing the file format.
Supported File Formats In VLC convert
The containers reflect the output file formats during the conversion process.
In the Profile drop-down menu, you will find the following video options:
- H.264 in MP4 container
- H.265 in MP4 container
- MPEG 1080p/720p in MP4 container
- SD for iPod in MP4 container
- HD for iPod HD/iPhone/PSP in MP4 container
- SD low and high for Android in MP4 container
- SD for YouTube in MP4 container
- HD for YouTube in MP4 container
- H.264 in TS container
- Dirac in TS container
- MPEG2 + MPGA in TS container
- Theora + Vorbis in OGG container
- WMV + WMA in ASF container
- DIV3 + MP3 in ASF container
- DivX in AVI container
- VP89 File in Webm container
There are also a bunch of audio conversion options available, which are as follows:
- Vorbis in OGG container
- MP3 container
- FLAC container
- CD container
VLC can be a great tool if you are not willing to purchase a third-party converter. However, there are certain applications (read our video converter), which allow you access to even more features, like a downloader and screen recorder. Now you know how to convert WebM to MP4 using VLC media player. Comment below if you found this useful, and to discuss further the same.