Windows Update services require some vital services to function properly.
Background Intelligence Transfer Services or BITS is one such service.
If this service fails, then Windows will show up ‘NET HELPMSG 2182’error.
If you are facing the same type of Windows update error, then follow this article to know how to fix it.
What To Do When You Get Net Helpmsg 2182 Error?
Perform the steps given below when you get NET HELPMSG 2182 error.
1) Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Before you move on to any advanced solution, try running Windows Update Troubleshooters. This can troubleshoot the problems related to Windows Update.
To run the troubleshooter, follow the steps given below:
- Click on the Windows Start button and select Settings.
- Choose Troubleshoot under System.
- Click on Other Troubleshooters.
- Click on the Run button next to Windows Update.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to finish the process. Now try to update your system. If you again get the same error, run the BITS troubleshooter.
2) Run BITS Troubleshooter
NET HELPMSG 2182 is associated with BITS services.
So, run the BITS troubleshooter to see if this can troubleshoot the problem.
To run the BITS troubleshooter, follow the steps given below:
- Type Control Panel in the Windows search box and click on the top option.
- Select the Troubleshooting option.
- Click on View all option.
- Click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Choose Advanced option.
- Check the box for Apply repairs automatically option. Then click on the Next button.
Let Windows detect the issue and fix the problem. If the error persists, restart Windows Update Components.
3) Restart Windows Update Components
If Windows Update Components are not functioning properly, then you can get NET HELPMSG 2182 error message.
To fix that restart Windows Update components. Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Click on the Windows Start button and type cmd.
- Choose to run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Next, enter the following commands one by one and hit the Enter button each time:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Next copy & paste the following Command to rename the folders and hit Enter
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Now enter the following commands in the elevated Command Prompt window and press Enter:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After running all the above commands, exit Command Prompt window.
- Try to update Windows once again. If you again get the same error, restart BITS service.
4) Restart BITS Service
If restarting Windows components did not fix the error then, restart BITS Services.
Press Windows + R keys to launch Run utility.
Type services.msc in the Run command box and hit Enter.
- From the services window, scroll down to find Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Double-click on the service to open it.
- Set the Startup type to Manual.
- If you see the service is running, click on the Stop button and then on the Start button to restart the service.
- If the service has stopped, click on the Start button. Click on Apply and then on OK to save the changes.
Exit the Services window and try to update Windows again.
If you again get NET HELPMSG 2182 error again, run SFC scan.
5) Run SFC Scan & DISM Scans
If you are getting system.management.automation.remoteexception error when using Powershell task to remote machine, run SFC & DISM scans run SFC and DISM scans.
These scans can check the Broken System Files and Windows images.
You can follow this guide to run the SFC & DISM scans.
5) Reset Microsoft Store Cache
If SFC and DISM scans could not fix the errors, reset the Microsoft Store cache.
To do that follow the steps given below:
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
- Type wsreset in the CMD window. Press the Enter key.
Once done, try to update your system, and this can fix the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- Is it OK to disable the background Intelligent Transfer Service?
If you do not want Windows automatic updates or you have already disabled Windows Automatic Updates on your PCs, there will be no impact on the use of the system.
For users who want to use Windows automatic updates, they should not disable this service.
- What is NET HELPMSG 2185?
If there is any issue with Windows services, then you can get NET HELPMSG 2185 error message.
This issue is related to Windows Update services and can occur in different instances.
- What is net Command in a computer network?
The Net Accounts command is used to set the policy settings on local computers, such as Account policies and password policies. This Command can be used on the domain controller and is used only on local computers.
So, there you have it! Send us feedback on which of the above methods helped you to fix NET HELPMSG 2182 error.
For further suggestions or queries, ask in the comments section provided below.