Roblox players keep encountering a problem where they cannot connect to a server, and see the error code 279 on the screen.
Error code 279 is a scenario where something has prevented the player from connecting to the game server.
Read the write-up in detail to know what causes the error and how to address this issue.
Related: How To Fix Roblox Error 268
What Causes Error Code 279 On Roblox?
Error 279 generally results due to a poor internet connection, firewall issues, or developer error.
Here are some of those causes:
Firewall Issues: Firewalls are known to misidentify software, as a result of which it blocks the game and prevents it from sending signals to the servers so that the user is unable to play the game. Since Firewall can be a hassle for playing games, all you need to do is to disable your Firewall or adjust the Settings so that you can have a hassle-free experience playing the game.
Developer Error: It is highly likely that the developer messed up while the coding was in progress. Even a new update can result in a bug or glitch, which in turn results in a connection error.
Internet Issue: Roblox may display (ID=17: Connection Attempt Failed) (Error Code 279) if the players fail to connect to the internet. If there is an issue with your network in your area, then you need to talk to your ISP and sort it out as soon as possible. Poor bandwidth and low internet connectivity act as a villain while playing games.
What Are The Fixes For Error Code 279?
Now it is time should delve deep into the solutions for fixing the error code 279.
1) Restart Your PC
This is actually more of a workaround. Restarting your device can fix minor bugs and errors.
So when you are getting Roblox error 279, restart your PC. After restarting, launch the game. If you again see the error code in Roblox, check your internet connection.
2) Check Your Internet Connection
You need a stable internet connection to play Roblox. So, check the internet speed and see if you are getting a fast and stable internet. You can check the internet speed by visiting speedtest.net.
If you encounter a slow internet speed, then you need to restart the router.
3) Restart Your Router
If you are facing a slow internet connection, then restarting the router can solve the issue.
This is how you can restart the router:
- First, you need to unplug the modem and internet router.
- Wait for a few seconds, and then plug the modem back in after a few minutes.
- Then turn the router on and wait for the modem’s light to become green.
- Finally, connect your computer to the network and find out whether Roblox gives you the same error.
- If you encounter the same error, then check the Roblox game server.
4) Check The Roblox Game Server
Its possible that the server is down in your region. Check the Roblox game server and see if that’s the case. If the server is down, then wait till it becomes live again. If there is no server outage, then reset the internet settings.
5) Reset Internet Settings
Another thing you can try is resetting your internet settings. This can fix most minor internet issues. Here is how you can do it:
- First, type Control Panel in the search bar and select the top option.
- Look for Internet Options and click on it.
- On the next window, click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Finally, click on “Restore advanced settings” and then hit the “OK” button in order to reset your internet settings.
6) Disable Windows Defender Firewall
Disabling the Firewall will give permission to all the data packets to enter the network unrestricted and, in turn, puts the network at risk.
But for the time being, disable the Firewall and check if you can play Roblox without the error. Make sure to turn it on soon after.
This is how you can disable Firewall:
- From the Windows Start menu, type Windows Defender Firewall and open the top result.
- Click on Turn windows defender firewall on or off option.
- Disable Windows Defender Firewall on both public and private network settings.
- Finally, click on Ok and see whether Roblox is working. If you still get the same error on Roblox, flush DNS.
7) Flush DNS
Flushing the DNS will clear the DNS cache from the records.
If, you are getting the error because of corrupted cache, it will get fixed this way.
Follow the steps below to do so:
- Type CMD in the Windows Search bar and right-click on the Command Prompt option. Choose Run as administrator.
- Now enter the following commands one by one in the elevated Command Prompt window.
- Press the Enter key after each command.
netsh int tip reset
netsh winsock reset
Restart your PC after running all the commands. If this cannot fix the problem, you can change the DNS address and check.
8) Change DNS
Sometimes the DNS server is misconfigured, and that may create problems. Changing the DNS address can fix it.
To change the DNS, follow the steps given below:
- Open Settings and click on Network & Internet option.
- Go to Advanced network settings.
- Next, click on More network adapter options.
- Right-click on the Network Adapter you are using and open its Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 [TCP/IPv4] and open its Properties.
- Now change the value for the Preferred DNS Server Address to 188.8.131.52 and the Alternate DNS Server address to 184.108.40.206.
- Click on OK to save the changes.
9) Contact Roblox Support
If none of the above solutions has helped you in resolving your issue, then you need to contact Roblox Support.
This is the last thing that can be done and will help you resolve your issue.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Why Is Roblox Failing To Connect?
Generally, the most common causes of connection problems with Roblox are firewall interference, low-bandwidth internet, and inconsistent connection.
- What Happens When Your Roblox Account Is Restricted?
Account restrictions lock an account’s Contact Settings so that no other user is able to send messages or chat in the app or in-app experience.
- Can Roblox Just Delete Your Account?
No, Roblox can’t delete your account until you make a deletion request.
- Do Roblox Accounts Expire?
If your membership is canceled and it is not recurring, then it will expire on the Expiration date.
You have the liberty to cancel it on the Roblox website anytime before the renewal date.
When your game starts malfunctioning, then it is important to fix it by using all the available fixes.
Roblox error 279 is one such error that you have been able to resolve after going through the fixes.
Reach out to us in the comment section below to resolve any further doubts or queries.