Elden Ring took the world by storm with its amazing release. But sadly the game has plenty of errors and bugs since its release. One of the common bugs is the game not launching. Instead of waiting for the official fix for these bugs, there are some troubleshooting methods that can fix it.
Here we have shown what to do when Elden Ring is not launching, so keep reading and perform the given solutions to solve this problem.
Solving Elden Ring Not Launching Bug
When Elden Ring is not loading or launching on your PC, perform the following solutions to fix it.
Also read: How To Share Steam Game Libraries
1) Update Steam
The first thing you need to make sure is that Steam is up to date. Steam automatically updates itself. But if you have difficulty launching Elden Ring then manually check for any pending update.
Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Open Steam and go to the Steam menu. Click on Check for Steam Client Updates as shown below.
- Next, go to Steam Library and right-click on Elden Ring.
- This will open the game properties. Now click on the Updates option.
- Select Always keep this game updated option.
- Steam will now update Elden Ring as soon as it gets any latest game patch.
2) Run Steam As An Admin
Some elements of the game may require administrative privileges to run.
So, allow administrative privileges to Steam and see if you can launch Elden Ring properly.
For this, run Steam as administrator and check if you can launch Elden Ring properly.
To do that, follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on the Steam Desktop shortcut and click on Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the Run this program as administrator box.
- To save the changes, click on Apply and then on the OK button.
3) Verify The Integrity Of The Game Files
Elden Ring won’t launch if the game files are missing or corrupted.
So, verify the integrity of the game files from Steam. This process will verify and download the missing or corrupted game files.
To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Open Steam and go to the game Library. Right-click on Elden Ring and open its Properties.
- Click on the Local Files and choose to Verify the integrity of game files.
- Complete the process and then relaunch the game. If the problem persists then go to the next step.
4) Update Windows
An outdated version of Windows can have compatibility issues with your game.
So, check for updates following the steps given below:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Win + I keys.
- Click on the Update & Security option. Next, choose Windows Update.
- Click on Check for Updates from the right panel. If there is any recent update available, click on the Next button to install it.
- After finishing updates, relaunch Elden Ring. If it still shows issues, go to the next step.
5) Disable The Firewall
Windows Firewall may sometimes conflict with your game and prevent it from launching. So, disable Firewall temporarily and then launch the game.
To do that, follow the given steps:
- Type Windows Defender Firewall in the Windows search box and select the first option.
- Choose the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option.
- From the Allowed apps and features section, find Steam and check the boxes for both Private and Public settings to allow Steam through Firewall.
If you are using any other third-party antivirus program, make sure to disable that too.
6) Update Your Graphics Driver
To avoid performance issues, always keep your graphics driver updated.
For the latest game patch, an updated graphics driver is always a must-have.
So, update the graphics driver following the steps given below:
- Right click on the Windows start button and select Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters.
- Right click on your graphics driver and select Update driver option.
- From the next page select Search automatically for the drivers option. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
Also check how to update NVIDIA graphics driver from here. After updating the graphics driver, launch Elden Ring and check if the problem is solved.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
1. How do I fix Elden Ring crash on startup?
You can fix Elden Ring crashing on startup by updating Windows, updating Steam, verifying the integrity of the game files, or running Steam as an administrator.
2. How do I fix my Elden Ring black screen on launch?
When you find a black screen while launching Elden Ring on windowed mode, press Alt + Enter to switch between the windowed mode and full screen.
3. How do I fix my Elden Ring not online?
To fix Elden Ring not online error, update the network drivers, verify the integrity of the game files, enable auto-update for Elden Ring, repair system files, and update Windows.
If the above article has helped you to fix the Elden Ring not launching problem, then do mention it below.
Also, for more game and tech-related solutions, ask us in the comments section below.
Richard Legge says
The best game I’ve ever played. But occasionally the PC would hang while playing games. My computer has a poor configuration, according to one of my friends. Could you please let me know what system requirements are necessary for the game to run smoothly?
Then it must be the only game you’ve played in your life.