Can’t update your Windows 10 PC? Getting “Service registration is missing or corrupt” error while trying to update? This is something that Windows Update Troubleshooter can’t fix. You have to resolve it on your own. Don’t know how? Nothing to worry about! We are here with our troubleshooting methods. Scroll down and go through to know them all. Try one by one and take the shy of relief!
Here you go!
Run System File Checker
If there are some issues with your system files then running the system file checker utility is going to help you. Follow the steps below to run SFC scan,
- At first, press the Windows button + x on your keyboard
- Now, from the list click on Command Prompt(Admin), make sure you click on Yes when prompted for permission
- As the command prompt opens type the following command and hit the enter button or click on Ok button
- Now, be patient and wait until the process gets completed
- Once the process completes the Windows System File Checker will find out if there are any corrupted or damaged system files and repair them automatically.
- Finally, restart the computer and check whether the Windows Update Service Missing error gets resolved or not.
Start Windows Update Related Services
If the problem doesn’t get resolved following the above method then there might be certain service of Windows Update has been disabled by mistake. Follow the steps here and enable all the Windows Update services to resolve the issue.
- Firstly, Press Windows logo key + R from your keyboard to open the Run dialog box on your system
- Then, type services.msc in the box and hit the Enter button
- Now, find out the Windows Update Service and double click on it to open the Windows Update properties
- Then, scroll down under the General tab and locate the option Startup type; change it to Automatic
- If you find the service status is Stopped then select the Start button and then Ok to start the service again.
- But if the service is already started then, what you can try is Restarting the service. Click on Stop and OK. Now wait a few minutes and restart the service again.
- After that, go back to the services window and locate the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- After that, double-click the Background Intelligent Service to open the properties. Now follow the same steps as shown for Windows Update properties
- After trying all the processes for the Background Intelligent Service its time to try the same thing with another Windows Service.
- Go back to the Services Window and from the list of services find out the Cryptographic Services.
- Finally, you need to follow similar steps for the Cryptographic service as well.
Therefore, after restarting all the Register Windows services you must try to update your operating system. If this does not resolve the issue carry forward with the next resolution.
Change the Group Policy and Run DISM
A DISM Scan can surely repair if there are some missing or corrupted system files. But before running the DISM scan it is always a good option to change the Group Policy setting. Follow the steps below to change the Group Policy and run the DISM Scan,
- Firstly, press the Windows Logo Key + R to open the Run Dialog Box
- Then, type gpedit.msc and hit the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Now, as the Local Group Policy Editor window opens, move to the left pane and click on Computer Configuration
- Then, from the Computer Configuration go to Administrative Tools> System.
- Now, from the right pane window select the option Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair setting
- Then, Select Enabled and put the location which you need to repair.
- Now, Click on the Apply button and then OK to save the changes.
- Finally, close the Group Policy Editor and open the Command Prompt utility from your PC. Run the DISM commands there to repair the system files.
If all the above solutions fail to resolve the issue for you then, we have another option you can try.
Run Windows Update Commands
- At first, Press the Windows Logo Key + X and from the list click on Command Prompt(Admin)
- Now, Click on Yes when prompted for permission
As the Command Prompt opens Run the following commands one by one and press the Enter button each time
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Hey Folks, now its time to winding up! Hope the article helped you to resolve the Windows 10 Service Registration is missing or corrupt error. If you face any difficulties proceeding with the steps above just let us know through the comment box below. We will get back to you within minutes.