Connecting the HP printer to Wi-Fi is a great way to make printing from your PC, Smartphone, or tablet more convenient.
This article will guide you on how to connect your HP printer to Wi-Fi.
Also, know how to find IP addresses on HP printers.
Ways To Connect HP Printer To Wi-Fi
You can connect an HP printer to Wi-Fi through the HP Smart app, using a WPs setup and without the router.
Now, here are the detailed steps on these three methods.
A. How To Connect an HP Printer To Wi-Fi Via HP Smart App?
1. Install the HP Smart App
The HP Smart app helps you to connect your HP Printer to a Wi-Fi connection. It also allows you to share and print from your PC or Smartphone.
So click on the link to download the HP Smart app and create an HP account. You can save the account credentials to sign in next time quickly.
2. Set the HP Printer in the Wi-Fi Setup Mode
When you turn on your HP printer for the first time, it automatically goes to the Wi-Fi setup mode.
Its validity is for two hours. If you need to go to the setup mode again, follow these steps:
- For Printers with Touchscreen:
From the Setup or Wireless Menu, go to Settings or Network Setup > Restore Network Settings.
- For InkJet printers without a touchscreen
Press & hold the Wireless and Cancel buttons together till the Power flashes. After that, the Wireless light should flash.
- For Laser Printers Without Touchscreen
Press & hold the Wireless button till you see the Attention light flashing. After that, the Wireless light should flash.
- For Laser Printers Without a Control Panel Menu or Touchscreen
Press & hold the Wireless button till you see the Power Lights and the Attention lights start flashing.
Alternatively, press & hold the Wireless and Cancel buttons until the Wireless Light flashes.
During the entire process, your printer may restart.
For Envy, ENVY Pro, Deskjet Plus IA 6000, 6400, and the Tango Printers
Check the back of your HP printer and press the Wireless button for at least 4-5 seconds till the Status light starts flashing.
The light will be either purple or blue, depending on the model of the printer.
3. Connect the Printer to the Wi-Fi
To connect the HP printer to Wi-Fi, here are the basic steps:
- Open the HP Smart app from your device and select Setup a New Printer option.
- The app will search for nearby HP printers in the Wi-Fi setup mode and should find your HP printer.
- Then click on the Setup button on your HP printer. Now, the app will confirm that the HP printer is ready. Click on the Continue button.
- Enter the Wi-Fi password of the network to which your PC or Smartphone is connected.
- Then confirm the password you have entered and click on the Continue button.
- When your HP printer gets connected to the network, you will receive a prompt to touch the checkmark on the HP printer display to confirm the proximity to the device.
- If you have an HP printer without a touchscreen, press the Information button on your printer.
You will get a confirmation when the printer gets connected to the network.
B. How To Connect HP DeskJet Printer To Wi-Fi With Wi-Fi Direct?
In the most recent HP printers, released after 2014, you get a Wi-Fi Direct option that does not require an internet connection for printing wirelessly.
Here is how you can do so:
- If your HP printer has a control panel, press the Wi-Fi Direct icon to see the Wi-Fi Direct name and password.
- You can also check the details from the Reports Menu > Print a Network Config page or Network Summary.
- If your printer does not have a Control Panel, you need to print a network configuration page or help page to see the name and password.
For printing a network report from a Windows PC, follow the basic steps given below. The steps may vary depending on your Control Panel:
- Press the Information button on your Printer.
- Press and hold the Wi-Fi Direct button for 3-4 seconds.
- Next, press the Information and Wi-Fi Direct buttons together. Then press & hold the Resume button until the report gets printed.
- For HP DeskJet 6000 & 6400, Pro 6400, Tango, and ENVY 6000, press and hold the Information button till all the Control Panel buttons light up. Next, press the Information and Cancel buttons at the same time.
- Now, from the Windows Search menu, open Printers and Scanners.
- Click on Add a printer or scanner > Show Wi-Fi Direct printers option.
- Select your HP printer. It should start with Direct and the model number.
- Next, click the Add Device option and wait until you get a PIN. Enter the WPS PIN within 90 seconds and click on Next.
- If the validity time of the PIN expires, close the window and repeat the same steps from the beginning.
- If you see a Driver is available message after entering the WPS PIN, download and install the printer driver.
- Next, open the document you want to print and click on the File tab > Print.
- Then select the Wi-Fi Direct HP printer from the list and click on Print.
C. How To Connect an HP DeskJet Printer To Wi-Fi Using a WPS Push Button?
To connect the HP printer using Wi-Fi Protected Setup or WPS, you should have a wireless HP Printer that supports the WPS push button and a router with a WPS button.
Then follow the steps given below to connect the printer:
- Press and hold the WPS push button until the wireless light blinks.
- If your HP printer does not have a Wireless button but a Control Panel Menu, navigate to Wireless Settings or Network Settings from the menu.
- Next, select Wi-Fi Protected Setup > Push Button > Start.
- Then, within 2 minutes, press & hold the WPS button on your router until the WPS light blinks.
- Wait till the router establishes a connection with the router. Once the Wireless connection is established, the Wireless light can stop blinking, or you can get a confirmation on the Control Panel.
- You can now install the HP printer software on your device and start printing.
What To Do If You Face Trouble Connecting To The HP Printer To Wi-Fi?
If you face trouble connecting your printer to the Wi-Fi, there are a few things you should check:
- Make sure that your printer is turned on and placed within range of your Wi-Fi router and there is no obstruction between the devices.
- Ensure that the Wi-Fi name & password are correct.
- As a general troubleshooting, you can restart your printer and your Wi-Fi router to re-establish the connection.
- If you still have any further issues, contact HP customer support for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Here are some frequently asked Questions from the HP printer users:
1. How can I reconnect the printer after changing the Wi-Fi?
To reconnect the printer after changing the Wi-Fi, go to Wireless or Setup menu > Network Setup or Settings> Restore Network Settings. Next, navigate to Go to Find network password or PIN for connecting the HP printer. From the Wireless Settings or Network, select Wireless Setup Wizard.
2. Why the Wi-Fi light is blinking on the HP printer?
The Wireless light on the Printer links when it is trying to connect to a Wi-Fi network. So, wait for some time till the light becomes steady and connects to the Wi-Fi successfully.
3. What is the difference between WPS and Wi-Fi?
WPS handles the data transfer between the router and the client device. It is a password-protected wireless network supporting Wi-Fi Protected Access Personal (WPA) and Wi-Fi Protected Access 2(WPA2) Personal.
So, there you are! Send us feedback if the above article helped you connect your HP printer to a WiFi network.
For any related information, intimate us in the reply section, and we shall soon revert with answers.