If you want to change the login background image and the lock screen image, here I will show you 2 methods to successfully change the Windows 10 Login Screen background.
In the earlier builds, it was confusing and difficult to change the lock screen and login background images. But with the new updates Microsoft pushed, the option has been moved to the Settings app.
Ways To Change Windows 10 Login Screen Background:
We have mentioned two methods to change Windows 10 login screen background. You can use any of the methods to do the same.
- Right click on the desktop and go to Personalize from the menu.
- From the left menu pane, go to Lock screen
- In the Background drop menu, select Picture.
- Select a stock image, or use the Browse option to select a custom image file.
- Ensure the button next to Show lock screen background picture on sign- in screen is set to on.
Here you can also select which apps display on the lock screen. Using this simple method you can change the windows 10 login screen background.
Another method that you can deploy is using third party software. I will now show you how to use third party software to change the sign-in background.
# Method 2 (Using third-party software)
The default login screen pictured is stored in Windows.UI.Login.pri file located under the Windows\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Login folder. Changing the image that is present in the .pri file will allow you to customize your login screen image and add an image of your choice.
However, you don’t have to do this manually. A Reddit user Krutonium originally designed an app called Windows 10 Login Screen Background Changer, and the project has been updated by Toyz team. You can find the app on GitHub for Microsoft.
Caution: you must this app at your own risk. The app is updated constantly, however, the process of changing the login screen includes changing the system file Windows.UI.Logon.pri and modifying a system file can cause damage to your device. Remember to create a backup or a system restore file in case some error happens.
- Download the zip file from https://github.com/Krutonium/Windows-10-Login-Background-Changer/releases and extract.
- Extract the files.
- Open the GUI folder and locate the application named “W10 Logon BG Changer.exe”
- Launch the application as an administrator by right-clicking and selecting Run as Administrator
- Go to Edit Background Here pick your custom background image and preview the changes.
- Once you finalize the image you want to select as the sign-in background, click on Apply changes button at the bottom of the app.
- Restart your device to verify that the image change is applied.
Note: if you want to restore the default settings, launch the app again and click on the Restore Defaults button.
So there you have it. If you are bored with the default lock screen image and want to try something new, now you know how to change the sign in screen in windows 10 using two methods given above. Did you find any of these methods useful? Comment below if you successfully changed the Windows 10 login screen.