We use the Caps Lock key for capitalizing letters. Sometimes users hit the Caps Lock key unintentionally which interrupts their workflow. But after noticing the Caps Lock indicator light, they can easily make it off.
Missing the Caps Lock notification on Windows 10 seems a real problem for users while typing. It may cause errors in texts or passwords without the user’s consent. Here, you will find the solutions of the Windows 10 Caps Lock indicator not working that might fix your problem easily.
- 1 How To Fix Windows 10 Caps Lock Indicator Not Working!
- 1.1 Solution 1: Check For Any Hardware Issue
- 1.2 Solution 2: Update Keyboard Driver
- 1.3 Solution 3: Update Windows
- 1.4 Solution 4: Uninstall Latest Windows Updates
- 1.5 Solution 5: Turn On Notification Sound
- 1.6 Solution 6: Activate On-Screen Keyboard
- 1.7 Solution 7: Enable Display Caps Lock Status On Screen
- 2 Conclusion
How To Fix Windows 10 Caps Lock Indicator Not Working!
This error can occur due to a hardware problem, outdated keyboard driver, outdated operating system or some uncertain updates. If you experience such an issue, follow these solutions carefully to resolve it.
Solution 1: Check For Any Hardware Issue
At first, you should ensure that there is no hardware issue behind the indicator missing error. Check the keyboard for any broken or faulty piece that makes you unable to see the indicator. Look for any damage to the wire that causing the keyboard unable to work properly.
Connect your keyboard to another computer to check if there is any hardware problem. The LED indicator can be damaged or not working. So, check for this as well.
If it is possible to check the port where the keyboards get connected on your CPU, then do it. The port might be faulty. Disconnect the keyboard and plug it in again to check if there is any dispute with the connection. If you find no problems with the hardware, then try the next solutions below.
Solution 2: Update Keyboard Driver
If your keyboard driver is outdated, it may cause your Caps Lock notification error. To update the driver, follow https://silicophilic.com/update-your-device-drivers/
After the driver update completes, check if the error is resolved.
Solution 3: Update Windows
If the problem still persists and the Windows 10 caps lock indicator not working, then it might be a sign of your outdated operating system. To update the operating system, follow the steps provided below carefully:
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now, click on the Update and Security option.
- In the Windows update center section, you will find a button showing Check for updates. Click on it.
- Windows 10 will automatically scan for available updates and install them.
- Restart your computer after the update is installed successfully.
This process is helpful to a lot of users as they have reported. Check if it also works in your case.
Solution 4: Uninstall Latest Windows Updates
A Caps Lock indicator error might happen after the latest software updates. To remove the unwanted updated, you should follow the same as discussed below.
- Click on the Start icon and search for the Settings app.
- In the Settings app, select the Update and Security option.
- Click on the View install update history option to open the update history list.
- Now click on the Uninstall updates option to remove the selected updates.
- Finally, locate the update you want to remove and double–click on it.
Now check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 5: Turn On Notification Sound
The Caps Lock indicator is not in use in some new model laptops recently. To avoid any unintentional error, you should turn on the notification sound while using the Caps Lock button. It is also useful for keyboards having no indicator issue.
To turn on notification sound every time you use the Caps Lock button, you should follow these steps:
- Click on the Start icon and type Settings in the search box.
- In the Settings app, find the Ease of Access option and click on it.
- Now select the Keyboard option from the left pane.
- Enable the toggle key showing ‘Hear a tone when you press Caps Lock, Num lock, and Scroll lock’ option.
- If you need a visual notification, go to the Audio option and choose an option from the Show audio alerts visually drop-down.
You will hear the sound and visual notification whenever you press the Caps Lock, Num lock or Scroll lock button from your keyboard.
Solution 6: Activate On-Screen Keyboard
There is another way if you found your Windows 10 caps lock indicator not working. You can enable the on-screen keyboard. It will not resolve the keyboard problem but will help you to prevent the unintentional Caps Lock press.
To enable the on-screen keyboard, do the same as the following:
- Click on the Start icon and type Settings to open the Settings app.
- In the Settings app, Go to the Ease of Access option.
- Now select the Keyboard option.
- Here you will find the option to enable the on-screen keyboard. Toggle it on.
- A keyboard will appear on your screen. You can use it instead of your physical keyboard without worrying about the errors caused previously due to the Caps Lock indicator missing.
Solution 7: Enable Display Caps Lock Status On Screen
You may enable this option to see the on-screen Caps Lock indicator on windows 10. Whenever you hit the Caps Lock, Num lock or Scroll lock key, you will find the notification on your screen. To activate this option, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Start icon and search for Control Panel app.
- After selecting the Control panel, select Devices and Printers option from the menu.
- Now right-click on your PC from the list of files.
- Choose the Keyboard option.
- Select ‘Click here to change Microsoft keyboard settings’ in the Mouse and Keyboard Center.
- Finally, search for the Caps Lock option and enable the Display Caps Lock status on the screen option when you find it.
Now follow the right lower corner of your screen where you can see the Caps Lock indicator on Windows 10.
Note: This solution is only for Lenovo devices. You can’t apply this solution if you don’t have a Lenovo device.
Now you know why is your Windows 10 Caps Lock indicator not working and how to resolve the issue. Some of the solutions might resolve your issue, the others will help you to use the key without having an indication LED on your physical keyboard. If you found this article helpful, let us know by commenting below. If you still have confusion regarding Caps Lock notification on windows 10, feel free to ask here.