Are you facing problem while running the CHKDSK command on a disk partition? Often the Windows users find the error message ‘Cannot open volume for direct access.’ Go through the post here and resolve the issue quickly.
CHKDSK is a system tool which comes with every Windows operating system. This system tool lets you verify the volume integrity and troubleshoot system errors associated with the hard drive. Apart from that, it also helps in detecting bad sectors present in your disk drive.
What Causes The Error?
The error message appears when you try to run a schedule a disk check. Not only that but also the error might pop up if you try to repair your external hard drive or micro SD card using the disk check.
The main reason behind the problem is the presence of any third party application or service. If there is any third party application on your PC that can lock the partition of your disk drive you might have to face the error. Along with this, several windows system errors are there which can make you trigger this annoying error.
We have a few workarounds here for you. Thoroughly read the post and resolve the error easily.
How To Resolve The Cannot Open Volume For Direct Access Error?
Try the solution here one by one this will surely fix the problem you are facing.
#Solution 1: Check the third party drive monitoring software
As we have mentioned earlier, you are more likely to face the problem if you have any third party drive monitoring software present in your system. You must consider disabling this kind of service or completely uninstall the software or service. Follow the steps here:
- Firstly, Press the Windows Logo Key and R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box
Now, type services.msc in the box and hit the enter button or click on OK
- Then, from the list of services find the disk drive monitoring software
- After that, right-click on the specific service and Click on Properties
- Now, change the Startup Type to disabled for any third-party applications and Select OK
- Finally, close the services window and reboot your computer to proceed with the changes
If disabling the software couldn’t fix the problem, you can uninstall the service. Follow the steps further,
- Open the Run dialog box similarly and type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the box this time.
- Hit the enter button or click OK after that
- Now, a list will open with all the apps in front of you
- Locate the one you use to monitor the disk drive
- Then, right-click and select uninstall.
- Finally, restart your PC and check whether this resolves your problem.
Still facing the problem? Well, you can consider excluding the drive from CHKDSK. Follow the further steps here to do so.
#Solution 2: Exclude the Disk Drive from CHKDSK
Have you recently faced a BSOD error on your computer? Then it’s just apparent that your system will mark a portion of your disk as bad sector. In that case, it will run CHKDSK every time you reboot your computer, and the possibility of finding the error message ‘CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access’ becomes higher.
In a situation like this, what you can do is excluding the specific disk drive from CHKDSK and avoid the error easily. Following the steps below will surely take you into the resolution
- At first, Press the Windows Logo Key + X on your keyboard
- Now, from the list Click on the Command Prompt (Admin); Click Yes when prompted to run as administrator
Now, type the command chkntfs /X E:
- Note: Change the drive name as per requirement
- Finally, restart your system to save the changes
Are you facing the problem with your SD card? When you insert an SD card in your PC and try to access it this kind of error happens very often. So, if you are having problems, follow the solution below.
Recover Your SD Card Data And Format It To Normal State
If you are facing the SD Card Cannot Open Volume for Direct access then, formatting the SD Card is the only option you have. If you have any critical data stored in your SD card, then we will suggest you recover that data using a data recovery tool.
There are different data recovery software available in the market which lets you recover all the essential files efficiently.
Anyway Folks! That’s all from our side. Hope you have found this article helpful to resolve the CHKDSK error. If you have any problems proceeding with the steps, let us know through the comment. Lastly, don’t forget to share your thoughts with us.