Black lines appearing on the monitor screen can be highly concerning. But, that doesn’t always mean its an hardware issue. The issue can be caused by a software or hardware issue and here we have shown what you need to do to fix it.
Also read: Vertical Lines On Monitor – How To Fix?
What Causes The Black Lines On The Monitor?
Before we know the solutions to fix the black screens on your PC screen, here are the reasons that can cause it:
- Software glitches
- Physical damage
- Damaged cable connections
- Graphics driver issues
- Conflicts between the screen and selected screen resolution.
- Incorrect refresh rate settings
- Out-of-date device drivers or operating system
- Poorly functioning video card
How Can I Fix The Computer Black Screen Lines?
Monitor not connecting the PC is equally an annoying issue and should be fixed at the earliest.
Horizontal lines on the screen can be fixed by following these troubleshooting steps.
1) Restart The Computer
Restarting the PC can fix minor bugs and errors. So, if the black lines on the monitor screen are caused due to any minor glitch, it can get fixed by restarting.
So, restart your PC, and once it restarts, if the issue persists, go to the next solutions.
2) Avoid Over Heating Of Laptop
If you are using a laptop, then keep it on a hard surface, away from direct sunlight. Make sure the room is well-ventilated.
Placing the laptop on a soft surface like a blanket or a tablecloth will cause overheating, and it will eventually lead to black lines or horizontal lines on the monitor.
3) Check For Damaged Monitor
Another thing that can be done when the screen is showing black lines is to check the monitor.
All you need to do is keep the monitor on and then unplug it from your computer and then look for lines on it.
If you come across any sort of distortion, then your monitor is damaged.
In this case, you need to take it to the repair shop or replace it.
You can also use another monitor and see if you see any black lines.
If you have access to another monitor, then use that and check for the issue.
If you still find black stripes on the monitor, reconnect the video cable.
4) Reconnect The Video Cable
Check the power cables attached to the monitor. Ensure there is no loose connection and the cable is not damaged. In case, the Samsung monitor doesn’t detect the HDMI cable then read through this guide.
You can disconnect and reconnect it. Remember to take care of both ends of the cable while you are plugging them in.
Faulty cables can also cause black horizontal lines on the screen. If you see any sign of damage on the cable, replace it and then see if this can fix the issue.
If the cables are all right, then reconnect the keyboard.
5) Detach And Re-attach The Keyboard
If you are using a removable or portable keyboard, then remove it for a few seconds and then check for the issue.
After waiting for a few seconds, re-attach the keyboard to the computer and check. Sometimes, the black lines can be caused by faulty keyboards.
If the issue isn’t with the portable keyboard that you are using, then change the screen resolution.
6) Change The Screen Resolution
Adjusting the screen resolution can fix the horizontal lines on the screen.
Incompatible resolutions result in abnormal display issues and also affect the pixel density.
Follow the steps to change the screen resolution:
- Right-click on a blank space on the desktop and then select “Display settings.”
- Now, in the display settings window, you will come across the slider that will help you in selecting different screen resolutions.
- You need to choose a lower resolution from the available options and then click on “Apply” to save the changes.
You can keep trying other resolutions and see if that makes any difference.
If this does not provide any satisfactory result and you see a black line on the monitor, then change the refresh rate.
7) Change The Refresh Rate
Changing the refresh rate helps in fixing the black lines on the monitor and also addresses other related issues.
The refresh rate is actually the number of times per second the monitor updates the image.
The higher the refresh rate is, the smoother the motion is. By adjusting the refresh rate, you will be able to reduce the visibility of the black line on the monitor.
If the refresh rate is not compatible with the monitor or graphics card, then it will lead to visual abnormalities, including black lines.
This is how you can change the refresh rate:
- Open the Settings and then select the “Display” option.
- Now, look for the “Advanced Display” option under “Related Settings.”
- From “Choose a refresh rate,” select another refresh rate and see if this can fix the issue.
- If changing the refresh rate doesn’t fix the issue, and you still see horizontal lines on the screen, then try updating the graphics driver.
8) Update Graphics Driver
Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can also cause screen abnormalities at times.
Therefore, updating the graphics driver can help in fixing the dark line on the monitor.
It also enhances the performance of the device and helps in eliminating visual artifacts, and also ensures smooth and accurate rendering of the images.
This is how you can update the graphic driver:
- First, open the Run utility by pressing the Windows + R keys on the keyboard.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” to open the Device Manager.
- Now, click on the “Display Adapter” section and then right-click on your graphics card.
- Select the “Update Driver” option.
- In the next section, select “Search automatically for drivers.”
Once you have updated the device drivers, restart your PC. After the PC restarts, you should not see dark lines on the screen again.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can Hardware Issues Cause Black Or Horizontal Lines On The Monitor?
Yes, hardware issues are known to cause black or horizontal lines on a monitor.
- How Does A Vertical Line Look Like?
A vertical line on a monitor looks like an extending line that is up and down.
- Are There Any Settings That I Can Adjust To Fix The Black Or Horizontal Line Issue?
Yes, you can adjust the screen resolution and refresh rate settings on your computer in order to fix the black line issue on your monitor.
- Can Outdated Graphics Drivers Cause Black Or Horizontal Lines?
Yes, outdated or incompatible graphics drivers cause black lines or horizontal lines on the monitor.
Fixing the monitor showing horizontal black lines will enhance your visual experience and ensure optimal productivity and enjoyment.
Write to us if you need any further guidance related to these kinds of issues.