Microsoft released Windows 10 in 2015, and it was presented as better in every way over past iterations of Windows. This is partly true due to the fact that Windows 10 focuses more on the regular delivery of security updates. However, when users upgraded to the latest build, they faced an error where there was audio distortion in Windows 10.
- 1 How To Solve Audio Distortion In Windows 10?
- 2 Wrapping Up
How To Solve Audio Distortion In Windows 10?
If you too face distorted sound in Windows 10 while playing a game or listening to music, here I shall discuss six easy solutions to how you can solve the distorted audio error in Windows 10.
Solution 1: Disable Sound Effects
Since Windows 10 comes with a spatial sound built-in, sometimes extra sound effects may be interfering with your device and causing the error. To turn off enhancements, follow these steps:
- Open Control panel either from the desktop icon or from the Run dialog.
- Change the view to Large or Small icons if it is previously set to Categories.
- Click on the Sound entry. A new Sound console will open.
- In the list of available output devices, double click on the Speakers to launch its Properties.
- Under the Enhancements tab, check the box next to ‘Disable all enhancements’.
- Click on Apply followed by OK.
This shall disable any enhancements, which were interfering with your audio playback, therefore, causing audio distortion in Windows 10.
Solution 2: Disable Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control
Overlapping applications may sometimes interfere with the audio output of each other. This feature can cause many different types of errors in Windows 10, and distorted sound in Windows 10 is one of them. You can try disabling this setting to solve your error.
To remove this permission, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the speaker’s icon on your taskbar.
- Select Open Volume Mixer from the context menu.
- In the Volume Mixer dialog box, you will be able to see the applications that are using the audio devices. Make note of these applications.
- Open task manager by pressing together Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Here, under the processes tab, locate the applications that you noted in the Volume Mixer.
- Terminate the applications that you located there.
- Next, right-click on the speaker icon again to launch the context menu.
- Here, click on Sounds.
- Go to the Playback
- Select your default audio device. Click on Properties.
- Under the Advanced tab, uncheck the box next to the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.”
- Click OK.
- Restart your PC.
Now check if the problem persists. This should solve the error on your device.
However, if it does not, you may need to run the audio troubleshooter to diagnose the error.
Solution 3: Run The Audio Troubleshooter
Windows Troubleshooter can be an easy solution to find any problems with the hardware on your system. You can run the troubleshooter if you see Realtek HD audio distorted sound.
- Open the Settings You can use the keyboard shortcut Win + I.
- Click on Update and Security.
- From the left pane, select Troubleshoot.
- From the right pane, select Playing audio.
- Click on Run the Troubleshooter.
Now just follow the onscreen instructions to find the problems with playing audio and fix them.
Solution 4: Update Audio Drivers
The device drivers are the files that enable your hardware device to communicate with the operating system. If you missed or forgot to update your drivers, these outdated drivers can sometimes cause the ‘distorted sound in Windows 10’ error.
To update the audio drivers, follow these steps:
- Open a Run dialogue by pressing Win + R.
- Type devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager.
- Locate the Audio inputs and outputs and click on it to expand.
- Right-click on devices available under this section and select Update driver.
- Wait for Windows to find the updates if available and then follow the onscreen instructions to update your audio drivers.
- Next select ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ and update the drivers of the devices available under this section too as mentioned above.
Keeping your drivers up to date can prevent these conflicts between the hardware and the operating system. If you have a Realtek device, you can also try downloading the updated drivers from the Realtek website. Simply download the driver and double click to ‘Run’ the file on your device. The drivers should be updated and the Realtek HD audio distorted sound error should be solved on your device.
Solution 5: Reinstall Direct X
Microsoft DirectX is the collective name for the application programming interfaces, which handle tasks related to multimedia, specifically providing hardware acceleration for heavy multimedia applications such as HD video playback or 3D gaming.
Direct X is also known to cause audio distortion during high-resolution playbacks, which can be attributed to either a corrupt installation or a version mismatch etc. Windows 10 comes with DirectX 12 preinstalled, so you may try reinstalling the DirectX application if the above solutions did not help you.
You can update Direct X using Windows Update since driver and programming interface updates are handled by Windows Update starting from Windows 10. You need to apply and install the latest service pack or platform update, which may be ready to install on your device.
Alternatively, you can visit the Microsoft Download Center and search for DirectX directly there. The Web Installer shall install the missing DirectX files on your computer. Simply run the downloaded installer, and restart your system once the installation finishes, therefore solving your audio distortion in Windows 10 problem.
Solution 6: Change In-App Audio Settings
If the bit rate and frequency that the audio is playing in are not supported by your speakers, you may end up facing the distorted sound in Windows 10 error. To solve this, you need to adjust the in-app audio settings to resolve the audio problems that you are facing. You can start by changing the sound to a 24-bit value, and then adjusting upwards until you find the setting at which you are facing the error.
So there you have it. Now you how to solve the audio distortion in Windows 10 error using one or a combination of the solutions provided above. Comment below if you found this useful, and tell us how you solved the error on your device.