There are times when you fail to run an application or file on your Windows 10 system, there is a system error that says, “api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll missing”. The error says to reinstall the program, but that is usually useless and does not solve the error.
This error can become very frustrating, and here I shall discuss how to solve the error is you receive the “the program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer” error.
- 1 Why Am I Facing The Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-L1-1-0.Dll Missing Error?
- 2 How To Solve “Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-L1-1-0.Dll Missing” Error On Windows 10?
- 3 Wrapping Up
Why Am I Facing The Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-L1-1-0.Dll Missing Error?
Users are usually affected by this error, when trying to install a program or file, open some Adobe applications, SmartFTP software, Autodesk, Office or Skype.
The Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) are external codes of the memories for applications. Most applications are actually incomplete in themselves, meaning they lack some parts in the installation folders. When there is a need for some code, the application pulls the required code and loads them into memory, for the use of the application.
If you receive the ‘api ms win crt runtime’ error on your device, it means that either the Universal CRT has stopped working, which can be because of either some other interfering application or incorrect installation. Users can also face this error if the DLL file itself is corrupt or missing.
How To Solve “Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-L1-1-0.Dll Missing” Error On Windows 10?
The CRT runtime DLL error is usually associated with the incorrect installation of the Visual C++ software. But sometimes, it can also be caused by an outdated Windows. We shall start by looking at some of the easier solutions first, followed by the advanced methods to solve this error.
Note: Do not download and install the dll file from any unrecognized website. These websites are known to host outdated dll files, and the source of these dll files are also questionable. You may also be supplied with virus files sharing the same name as your dll file, thereby leaving you in a worse condition than before.
Solution 1: Update Windows
An Outdated Windows can cause a variety of issues, and the DLL files missing is also one of these issues. This is, fortunately, a very easy thing to solve if an outdated Windows is causing the error. To solve this, you can start by updating your Windows to the latest build.
Head over to the Update section from the Settings app (use the keyboard shortcut Win + I). Here, update your Windows to the latest build and install all the cumulative updates available for your device as well. Since Windows Update handles the driver updates as well, any outdated or missing hardware for your device should also be updated to the latest version.
Solution 2: Download And Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable From Microsoft
If you face the ‘api ms win crt runtime’ error on your Windows device, the most common cause of this error is that the Universal CRT, which is a part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 file has an incorrect installation. Many applications use this particular system to run their applications properly, and the missing DLL file can prevent installation or modification of the other applications that use this.
- Visit the Download Center page for Visual C++ on the Microsoft official website.
- Select your package installer language from the drop-down menu.
- Once done, click on the Download button.
- Select your system type, x64 for a 64-bit processor and Operating system, and x32 for 32-bit processor.
- Click on Save prompt to save the file. The download for the file shall start.
- When it is downloaded, double click the downloaded .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Now try opening the installer or program that was earlier giving you the error on your device. This should solve the error on your device and you should be able to run programs easily on your device.
Solution 3: Repair Installation Of Visual C++ 2015
If you have Visual C++ 2015 already installed on your device, you can also try repairing the installation. This is done to repair the app if the complete installation failed due to some reason, and some components went missing.
- In a Run window (press Win + R), type control panel and press Enter to launch the Control Panel.
- Change the view to Large or Small icons if previously set to categories.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Under the list of installed apps, right-click on Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable to reveal the context menu, and then click on Change.
- In the Modify setup dialog box, click on Repair. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
Following the on-screen instructions should repair the installation of the Visual C++ 2015 application, therefore solving the ‘the program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer’ error on your device.
Solution 4: Copy And Paste The DLL File From Appropriate Source
If you have another PC or have a friend or relative whose PC you can trust to be genuine, you can obtain the DLL files from their PC and paste it onto your device. But you need to be careful regarding the architecture, as a mismatch in your computer architecture can cause your device to brick itself.
To check your system architecture, open a Run dialog by pressing Win + R, type msinfo32 and press Enter to launch the System Information dialog box. Here, look for the information regarding your system type and architecture.
- On your second PC, open the File Explorer.
- Navigate to the following folders according to your system architecture:
for 32 bit OS: C:\Windows\System32
for 64 bit OS: C:\Windows\SysWOW64
- Here, locate and copy the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll’ file onto local flash storage or upload the file to a location from where it can be accessed on the PC that you get the error on.
- On your misbehaving PC, download the file onto your local storage, and paste it in the folder according to your system architecture.
for 32 bit OS: C:\Windows\System32
for 64 bit OS: C:\Windows\SysWOW64
- Reboot your device and attempt the installation again.
This is one of the easiest ways to obtain the file but can miss sometimes due to a mismatch in system type.
Solution 5: Run SFC Scan
If none of the methods above work, there might be some system files missing which is causing the dll file to not be recognized. In this case, you need to run an SFC scan in order to search and replace any missing or corrupt system files on your device.
Note: DISM and SFC scans use the Windows Update to replace the corrupted files. If your Update Client is already broken, you may use a Windows installation disc as a backup repair source. You have to use a different command which will be listed below.
Caution: Do not interrupt the scans until the verification is complete. The scans do take time, but interrupting the scans may break your system.
- Open an elevated command prompt. Search cmd in search and select Run as Administrator from the right-click menu.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- If you are using a repair disc or other removable media, you need to use a different command. The command for this is:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\<RepairSource\Windows>/LimitAccess
Note: You have to replace C:\RepairSource\Windows with the location path of your repair source. You can find this path in the address bar of the drive.
After this scan finishes, you need to run an SFC scan. In the same elevated CMD, write the following command to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan and press Enter.
After the scan finishes the problem should be resolved. If there are some corrupt files, the scan will show results as a message.
Although it may seem like a very serious error, the ‘api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll missing’ error is very easy to troubleshoot and can be solved with a couple of easy steps. If you too got the error prompt that shows, ‘the program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer’, now you know how to solve this error using one or a combination of the solutions provided above. Tell us in the comments which solution helped you solve your error.